Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

How to Make Custom License Frames

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Default How to Make Custom License Frames

I have several custom made license plate frames on my cars. Made them myself.
1) See the attached photo: describes my 'vette.
2) "Yes, it's fast. No, you can't drive it."
3) "My other car has twice as much horsepower" (On my 320 HP Porsche).

You can make your own with any message: Here are the steps.

1) Get a blank license plate frame. I usually get one with any car I buy - the dealer puts one on the car that says "Big State Car Dealer" or whatever. I just use a power sander to sand the letters off and am left with a "blank" frame. Or I go to advanced Auto and buy one.
Get one with frame width (space for letters) or about 3/4 or 1 inch.
2) the letters. Go to an Office Depot or an Office Max or Staples and buy a set of plastic letters for office building foyer signs. These are white letters, available in sets with 5-8 of each number and letter, in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch heights. The are made with tiny tabs in back to hold them into the signs you see in office building lobbys ("Welcome Our Vistors Today, from Big State Car Dealership"), etc.
Get what size you want.
3) Get one of those epoxy dual hypodermic things (squirts out equal amounts and you mix it). Get a can of flat black or shiny black spray paint. And some 180 grit sandpaper.
4) Now, you select the letter size and the message you want. Take out the letters and cut the tabs off the back and sand them smooth on back. Make sure they will fit well.
5) Mix some epoxy - best to do only about ten letters at once. "Paint" it on the license frame and along the back of each letter. Push the letters on and move them around for good spacing--until they look right. You tend to get exposy all over your fingers and everything so do this where you can make a mess, but don't worry - it will look good anyway.
6) epoxy on all the letters of your message.
7) Let the epoxy harden and sppray the whole thing black. If you made a mess with the expoxy, use flat black, it hides more mess.
8) Let the paint dry.
9) Now make a sanding block and sand across the letters, removing the black paint from atop them and leaving their natural white plastic showing. Doesn't matter how much epoxy you splattered everywhere (that's covered with black), you end up with perfectly formed, perfectly white letters on a real black frame.
YOU're Done. Bolt it on. Have fun.

[IMG]local://upfiles/428/5D8A2AA434754A2C877F8B5C66A31E2F.jpg[/IMG]