Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

i apparently have no idea how to wash a car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Default i apparently have no idea how to wash a car...

http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/

that link was posted in another thread so i sat down and watch a few... the washing one in particular... WTF? its better for soap to dry on your finish then it is for water to?

i have a black car... and it gets hot fast... water evaporates fast... i constantly spray my car down when im washing it... to keep water on it so that it doenst tend to spot and also to cool it down so the soap doesnt dry as fast... i mean i guess he knows what hes talking about, but he doesnt even say anything about doing a final rince with filtered water or anything... (i usually go get water from walmart and rince it down with it for the last rince... notrmally only takes about 2 gallons since i use a mr clean auto wash for my next to last rince and it actaully filters the water fairly good...)

also he washed the wheel wells with the same rag hes gonna use later on the car (unless he buys a new pad every time...)... i have different rags for different areas (all marked of course)... one for like the wheel wells and really low on the doors (and fenders)and one for the rest of the car...

i did like the mit tray thing, but i normally rince off my mit with the hose b4 i ever put it back in my wash water to just try to blow the larger grit out b4 i put it back on my car... i have a black car that was luckily taken care of b4 i got it so the paint is in pretty good shape and in the year ive had it i dont think ive done anything to harm it...

WTF?

-me

p.s. i know its like an infomercial for their products and they prolly dont sell anything that filters water soo y would they want you to buy something that does...

Old 12-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Default RE: i apparently have no idea how to wash a car...

Man
I couldn't agree with you more Predator.
Not sure what they are trying to show there.
I was my cars, truck, motorcycles, whatever the same way all the time, and have been doing it for years.
I never let the soap dry on them.
I always wash in the shade, never direct sunlight.
Always from the top down.
And rinse any loose dirt off before ever starting.
And use a good chamois to dry.
I hate water spots, always have and always will.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Vinegar in the rinse water. a little trick left over from my "detailing cars to pay for college" days. A couple drops on the chamois while drying works great to avoid hard water spots as well.

bill.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:02 PM

Overall its a pretty good video, there are somethings I learned and there are somethings that I never plan to do.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

Vinegar in the rinse water. a little trick left over from my "detailing cars to pay for college" days. A couple drops on the chamois while drying works great to avoid hard water spots as well.

bill.

Hmmmmm, Interesting. Wouldn't that strip the wax off?