Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Default My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...

Folks, you can't swing a cat up here in Canada without hitting one of these things.

MSNBC Article on the "Smart Car"

To us old timers, the true blue muscle car fans, these things are an absolute affront to our sensibilities. This car has provided many hours of fodder in the form of insults and disgust to us up here, and today I see that they are headed your way now, too.

So, come 2009, if you are in a parking lot, and feel your car has just ridden over a speed bump, you might wanna check underneath... there's a good chance one of these is pinned under there.

May The Force Be With You.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Default RE: My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...

We have something even worse here in town.
Small electric cars about the same size, NO doors, people whiz around here like they are driving a truck. Oh they do have a version of that too. They are 100% street legal, ugly as hell, and if it were up to me, would only be used public works, or at a job site.
I seen one the other day. Evidently it had been hit by a taxi cab, I seen the aftermath, and this thing ended up in a store fronts window, INSIDE. It was a ugly mess.
I hate seeing these things on the street and I don't know how the hell they can be street legal. Heck throw some lights on a go-kart, raise it off the ground 8 inches and make it street legal also.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Dude[], I saw one of these POS here in Reno! No power, so don't expect it to get out of your way. You gotta really watch out for 'em, you can't hardy see 'em.

By the way,
Let The "G" Force Be With You!

Old 11-02-2006, 07:57 PM

I think they are very cool -- seen them in Europe and in Edmonton and Calgary when I travel up to Canada alot. I actually have thought of buying one, but will wait until make an electric hybrid version.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

We have something even worse here in town.
Small electric cars about the same size, NO doors, people whiz around here like they are driving a truck. Oh they do have a version of that too. They are 100% street legal, ugly as hell, and if it were up to me, would only be used public works, or at a job site.
I seen one the other day. Evidently it had been hit by a taxi cab, I seen the aftermath, and this thing ended up in a store fronts window, INSIDE. It was a ugly mess.
I hate seeing these things on the street and I don't know how the hell they can be street legal. Heck throw some lights on a go-kart, raise it off the ground 8 inches and make it street legal also.

GREAT post, bro! I completely agree. They say these things are very safe, but my wife and I loathe them so much, we look closely... our major observation is the passengers head is about 4" in front of the back window on these things, at about bumper height for most SUV's. I can't help but think a good solid rear-ender from a SUV will find it's bumper firmly embedded in the back of the passengers skulls in those things. Not to mention, if you encounter one on our highways, and it's going over 25mph, call the folks at the Guiness Book of World Records....

Everyone who owns one up here in Canada drives around with a "holier than thou" type attitude. They think they are saving the world. They are "pretend granola munchers", if you will.

Here's the kicker; those turkies run ya about $40k or more up here. No granola muncher will HAVE that kind of money. So, they're all posers. Not to mention, they get 40mpg, which is pretty good, but our Dodge SX2.0 R/T gets about 36mpg or so, so it ain't gonna save the world, in our opinions.

The one good thing about them is, if you encounter one in the Vette, the owner will display untold distain for the fact that we're pilotin' gas guzzlin' beasts. One blip of the go-go pedal, and they are history. Next light, you see 'em pull up beside you all outta breath from peddlin' so hard.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I think they are very cool -- seen them in Europe and in Edmonton and Calgary when I travel up to Canada alot. I actually have thought of buying one, but will wait until make an electric hybrid version.
That would impress me, Lee, given that you ain't no poser, bro. Personally, I can't stand the way they look... what do you think? Absolutely no disrespect good sir, we hate 'em up here something fierce.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Oh Dude[], I saw one of these POS here in Reno! No power, so don't expect it to get out of your way. You gotta really watch out for 'em, you can't hardy see 'em.
You mean you saw and actual Smart Car there? Or some other thing that strongly resembles one?

By the way,
Let The "G" Force Be With You!
I stand corrected!!! Indeedio, you are correct, my friend.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM

I saw a commercial for a comedian recently; he said "If they call 'em Smart cars, answer me this?? Why do you look SO STUPID drivin' em??"

It's real hard to describe, and I'll openly admit I have a heavy heavy bias towards traditional North American muscle, but they really annoy us Canadian Hot Rodders. I guess I can't figure out if we don't like the car itself, or the attitude of the vast majority of owners. A lot of people who own 'em, also own some monstrous Acura SUV as well, which is about as good to the environment as a good ol' coal factory.....

EDIT: Ah yes, the word just popped into my head... they are hypocrites.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure it was the same thing. My credit union had one on display for a big promotional deal. It's the only one I've seen. YUK![:'(]

Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm sure it was the same thing. My credit union had one on display for a big promotional deal. It's the only one I've seen. YUK![:'(]
They make great door stops!

Quick Reply: My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...