Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I'm sure it was the same thing. My credit union had one on display for a big promotional deal. It's the only one I've seen. YUK![:'(]
They make great door stops!
Ya, If ya don't stub your toe on the POS.[:@] To quote another Vette Bro:
"Gimme Fuel, Gimme Fire"!

Lets all join Green Peace, the Sierra Club, and the ACLU, eh?
I better stop now!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:41 PM

Tech school in this area has been working on these pedal cars for about a year. The tech came up with the sharp idea to have a classic car show and also display their little toys. You could even take one for a spin in the parking lots. They were so silly looking with all the muscle cars. Think their idea backfired on them, before noon they decided to take their little toys back in. Said they were disappointed in the response to the energy efficient vehicles. Geez, that was a no brainer, what would folks rather see, a real muscle car or a little battery vehicle.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:12 PM

[/quote]
They make great door stops!
[/quote]

heres another great door stop invention. Do we all remember the latest and greatest invention, THE SEGWAY? The prez had a spill on one of these awhile back. I remember hearing the inventor talk about this con"crap"tion when it was first introduced, and how it was going to be THE greatest thing to hit the market since the yo-yo. Well it's been several years now since the first one came out, and i believe they have an even better improved model now, but other than a few special events, or the exibit at universal studios last year I have yet seen any ridin around the cities sidewalks, and why we ask. One simple reason, They have not proven to be safe. Here you have this thing that could probably do 20 mph on our sidewalks that we share with the elderly that just could not get out of the way of that thing if they had to.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:51 PM

I like the idea of a small, efficient "urban" car - just for running to the store, short rtrips to work, etc. The engineer in my can appreciate the efficiency of something like that. The SMART is okay -- I can imagine much better, such as what would result if Porsche decided to take a shot at designing something for that class (I'd be in line the next day). (((And to answer an obvious question, yes, I have seen (and ridden in) the Mercedes "me to" answer to the SMART, sold in Europe. Not my car: Mercedes can make anything, including a smart car, heavy.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship
Ya, If ya don't stub your toe on the POS.[:@] To quote another Vette Bro:
"Gimme Fuel, Gimme Fire"!

Lets all join Green Peace, the Sierra Club, and the ACLU, eh?
I better stop now!!!
Totally, dude!! You crack me right up....

ORIGINAL: CORVETTE LADY

Tech school in this area has been working on these pedal cars for about a year. The tech came up with the sharp idea to have a classic car show and also display their little toys. You could even take one for a spin in the parking lots. They were so silly looking with all the muscle cars. Think their idea backfired on them, before noon they decided to take their little toys back in. Said they were disappointed in the response to the energy efficient vehicles. Geez, that was a no brainer, what would folks rather see, a real muscle car or a little battery vehicle.
Sweet Lord... gimme a break here, what did they expect? "Disappointed in the response"??? LOL, I can bloody well imagine how that went over!!!

ORIGINAL: gorichb

heres another great door stop invention. Do we all remember the latest and greatest invention, THE SEGWAY? The prez had a spill on one of these awhile back. I remember hearing the inventor talk about this con"crap"tion when it was first introduced, and how it was going to be THE greatest thing to hit the market since the yo-yo. Well it's been several years now since the first one came out, and i believe they have an even better improved model now, but other than a few special events, or the exibit at universal studios last year I have yet seen any ridin around the cities sidewalks, and why we ask. One simple reason, They have not proven to be safe. Here you have this thing that could probably do 20 mph on our sidewalks that we share with the elderly that just could not get out of the way of that thing if they had to.
Oooof! Yet ANOTHER example of a real interestin' piece of engineerin' on paper that does nothin' to get people's passion up and runnin'!!

A lot of these suit types who design these things forget one important detail, in my humble opinion; cars were and are designed to get us passionate about 'em. Route 66 is a piece of road, a strip of asphalt.... but it's SO much more than that. It's tradition, it's passion, it's the freedom, the open roads.... every single time I think of Route 66, I think of an Impala SS or a Vette bookin' along, with carefree folks just enjoyin' the freedom.

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I like the idea of a small, efficient "urban" car - just for running to the store, short rtrips to work, etc. The engineer in my can appreciate the efficiency of something like that. The SMART is okay -- I can imagine much better, such as what would result if Porsche decided to take a shot at designing something for that class (I'd be in line the next day). (((And to answer an obvious question, yes, I have seen (and ridden in) the Mercedes "me to" answer to the SMART, sold in Europe. Not my car: Mercedes can make anything, including a smart car, heavy.
Porsche would never design somethin' that looks like that, in my humble opinion. A Porsche of this class would be a Porsche... those guys are too smart, with knowing the history etc. of the Porsche name, to just grab a boxy thing, stick in a couple battery cells, and call it a genuine Porsche. I would be interested to see one of those puppies, too.

Look at the American auto makers... their hybrid vehicles of recent look exactly like their non-hybrid vehicles, yet they are doin' something for the environment and gas mileage... so I have a hard time believin' that these guys made the Smart Car look the way it does because they "had to"; that was a conscious decision to build somethin' that looks... just... terrible.....

Sorry for rantin' about it... we've got too many of 'em up here, and they are litterin' our highways all runnin' at about 35-40 mph. Sheeeeeeeesh already.....

Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 PM

I never understood the reasoning behind these hybrid/electric cars. Buying one of those POS's is not "going to save the environment" nor will it save you money. In order for it to save the environment EVERYONE would need to use them and don't see this happening EVER. And I don't see how these idiots (no offese to those who own these cars) see that they will be saving money either. Do they even do the math before buying the car ? It's simple Algebra. If they did, they would quickly realize that spending 30 to 40K on a hybrid just to save on gas ends up costing more in the long run. I did a comparison of my Mustang and my friends Prius. My friends parents paid 30k brand new for that POS and it got about 50 mpg city my Stang costed 3K and got about 17 city. I did the math and if if I remember correctly, my friend would have to own the Prius for approximately 7 years before he could start saving money over the mustang. You could even buy a new non hybrid car for approximately half that and and you would still save money over the hybrid car. In the end, buying a hybrid car will only a) cost you more money and b) make you look stupid. Personally if I had 30k to spend on a car it would be spent on a C5 or used as a down payment for a C6!

Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 AM

I just don't know how they are going to mix with our big SUV, I would hate to see the 2 meet.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

I just don't know how they are going to mix with our big SUV, I would hate to see the 2 meet.
I suspect one would become a heap of twisted metal and plastic, and the other one would be untouched.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Ric

Thanks top speed I have to clean the coffee off my computer now[quote]ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

I saw a commercial for a comedian recently; he said "If they call 'em Smart cars, answer me this?? Why do you look SO STUPID drivin' em??" [sm=happybounce.gif]

Have a great day
Ric W.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM

When I have seen one, I just turn on "Welcome to the Jungle" at 3/4 volumeand proceed to rev my engine. [8D]

Quick Reply: My American friends, your roads are about to be littered up...