Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

True Stories of........

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: True Stories of........

Instant eternity.......
When I was studyin' for my geology degree, my prof was a consultant for NASA. In connection with the USGS, he got his class permisssion to go into Mt. St. Helens on a geological survey.
We were doin' a comparison study of the volcanos in the North West. We started with Mt. Rainier, in Washington,and volcano hopped back down to Northern Califonia.
When we made our stop at Mt. St. Helens, none of the public was allowed within 10 miles of the mountain. The destruction from the eruption was still very evident. Trees laid flat for miles around, only a few bushes had started to grow back, and thousands of limbless treesfloating in what was left of Spirit Lake, at the base of the mountain. It had been ten years since the eruption in '80.
We hiked in about 5 miles and went into the crater. Holy Schmidt Bat Man!!!
The walls of the crater were about 500' high, straight up, with rock falls almost continuous. Rocks the size of a V-dub!
There in the center of the crater was the lava dome, only about 50' high at this time. We could lay on the dome and feel heat and an occational tremor.
Someone mentioned that they were afraid of an eruption, I laughed and told them,"well, if it does, you'll never know it!"
As we hiked out of the crater, we followed a small stream that was very hot and you could smell sulpher, kinda like egg f@rts.
When we got back to camp that night, I died with my boots on. Talk about tired.....!
This was one of the most, if not the most amazing experiance of my life.
I understand that recent tremors and gas releases have prohibited any further exploration.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

That must have been Cool....Well....I mean I know it was hot ...a volcano and all...c'mon...you know what I mean....geeeesh!....are wepicky or what?!!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blueshark

That must have been Cool....Well....I mean I know it was hot ...a volcano and all...c'mon...you know what I mean....geeeesh!....are wepicky or what?!!
Actually, it was cool, about 68* when we got inside. About 56* outside the crater.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Actually, it was cool, about 68* when we got inside. About 56* outside the crater.

Ahhh!,....Cool, so I'm safe....it was touch and go there for a second.....I confused myself........old age ...gotta love it.....keeps life interesting.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:54 PM

Dave, what a killer story! Holy Schnikeez, Batman... weren't you a little scared or anything? That puppy is still quite active and they say she could go off at any time, just like a 4 year old who had their "E-Z-Bake Oven" taken away from 'em....

Old 02-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Scared? No, not at all! Todwel onthe thought of bein' blasted into eternity, would have simply distracted me from the amazing experiance of "Bein' There"! It was really quite exhilarating, never felt more alive, 'cept for when drivin' the "Starship"!
The thought, of the possibility, of goin' up in a blast, only made me realize how alive I really was! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Scared? No, not at all! Todwel onthe thought of bein' blasted into eternity, would have simply distracted me from the amazing experiance of "Bein' There"! It was really quite exhilarating, never felt more alive, 'cept for when drivin' the "Starship"!
The thought, of the possibility, of goin' up in a blast, only made me realize how alive I really was! [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Ya know somethin', there, bro? I completely understand where you are comin' from just there. I suspect I mighta felt the same way, being in that situation...

Really makes you admire the power of nature, eh?

Old 02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ponder this, Mt. St. Helens was like a soda pop bottle goin' off, compared to other great eruptions in history. Keep an eye on Mt. Raineir, that sucka should really blow!!!
(and it's active)

Old 02-02-2007, 01:55 PM

Ponder this, Mt. St. Helens was like a soda pop bottle goin' off, compared to other great eruptions in history. Keep an eye on Mt. Raineir, that sucka should really blow!!!
(and it's active)
I'll be able to see it from here... I'll post cell phone camera pictures when it goes off....

Hopefully.....

Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

This isn't really an adventure or anythingbut rather just a funny little Item in my history. Nothin' much really just think it's funny.

I was born to a Sicilian Mother and Irish Father in the great state of New York in the lower end of the 6 Mil. acre Adirondack national forest. What a beautiful place to grow up. Talk about a country boy. These hillbilly's here in TN. haven't got a clue.LOL. Needless to say I was raised Irish/ Roman Catholic, Did the Sunday School thing, was an Alter Boy for awhile till my cousin and I got caught drinking the sacramental wine( little deviants) and even considered the priesthood, until I discovered Girls. But even with all this religion, up until I was like 9 years old I thought God's name was Harold. here's why. The Lords Prayer. "Our Father, Who art in heaven, Harold be thy name.... ". Never asked just took it for granted.I remember the day my Mom straightened me out on that it was like I had to get to know Him all over again. Don't know if this is a common thing but I wonder just how many little kids are thinking that right now.

That's it....I told you it wasn't much of nothin'.

Here's an interesting linkwww.dec.state.ny.us/website/dlf/publands/adk

Quick Reply: True Stories of........