Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

True Stories of........

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Default RE: True Stories of........

Dude, that's scary. Someone a buddy of mine knew years ago had that happen. He's no longer with us. I believe he and his car got polevaulted somewhere at a velocity that was distinctly not good.

Glad to hear the tranny survived!

Old 05-28-2007, 01:14 AM

Yeah... we made 'em work... and we did take some crap... but it was all worth it. I spent the last years of my career working for Sound Image, a large sound company based in Escindido. We always provided sound for the San Diego Street Scene, a multiple (7 to 10)stage outdoor event in the streets of SD. One year the Jeff Healy Band was going to be the headliner on the main stage. In case you don't remember him... he was a blind guitar player that played a strat like a lap steel... really unique style. Well anyways... we were set up, his crew and equipment truck arrived early so we had it ready to go when he got there. It was getting late in the afternoon and I was starting to get nervous when he and the band didn't show up at the scheduled time for the soundcheck. But about 20 minutes later, we spotted his bus coming up the street... weaving. As it got closer... we saw it was Jeff behind the wheel of their 40' Eagle tour bus! Well actually, the driver was below the dash, out of sight doing all the hard work... but Jeff's excuse as he got off the bus..."I got lost".
See ya
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]Jeff Healy drivin' the tour bus. That's funny! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
I remember Jeff very well. An impressive musician. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

By popular demand. I was asked to start this thread. Apparently, I've led an "Interesting" life and will share some of my experiences here. Hell, it's just life!
I don't want to make this my auto bio, so if someone has a True story to share, let 'er rip.

To start this out,
I was livin' in a loggin' camp, stayin' in a 16' travel trailer with another guy. (don't go weird on me here)
the guy used to like to drink, A LOT, after work. One night, about 1:30 in the morn', I was woke up by the fridge light coming on. I opened my eyes to see this guy just standin' in front of the fridge. I got up to see what was up. I guess he thought he was in the bath room, 'cause he was pi$$in' in the fridge![:'(]
I went to the foreman that day and got changed to another trailer, by myself.
I had a college roomie that took a leak in the corner of the room - sort of.

I heard him get up. I looked and he staggered a few steps, turned, took two more steps, turned the other way, and leaned on the wall (I still didn't know what was goin' on). THEN, I heard a dribblin' sound. HE'S LEAKIN'! I leaned up, and I saw him reachin' for the trigger on the commode, but it wasn't there!!!.

I bet I could go to his home, and know the layout of the john by that maneuver.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Now we know too!
That's funny!!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 AM
cwb

My first moto ('76) was a 68 Charger r/t. 440, auto, 4 bbl. (Syncin' 3 dueces is a hateful task, huh c3?) 12.5:1 squeeze under the heads. Schoolbus gas is low octane too. And I had to back off when I saw friends gettin' ready to light up a cigarette. And I can tell ya' that gas tastes bad[:'(]. All three days.

I piled the guys in the first friday nightI had it. 140mph. All saw it. At school a couple of days later, another buddy looked at the rear rubber. They were recaps.

Can you say 'guardian angels' x 5'?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
cwb

Okay... This one's a killer.

A couple of years ago, the Raleigh NC city council put up these hideous, slightly-larger-than-life-sized, fiberglass wolves, all over the city. They were purple, green, chartreuse, orange, turquoise, etc. Some had polk-dots [think political correctitude]. Just atrocious. They put 'em right on street corners and pedestrian malls all over town.

I know of two people who will never forget one of 'em.

I was at a red light in Cameron Village shoppin' center - two lanes straight thru' the x-section, I was in the hammer lane. Asub-compact pulled up to my right, with man and wife, I guess, in the front seats. Their german shepherd filled the back seat. It was summer, windows up. The dog was eyein' me when when they pulled up. He didn't see anything he liked, and stuck his head between the front seats to drool a little on the owners. No lovin' or attention up there either. He then looked out the passenger window, and I saw him freeze. The ears went forward and up, to the 5 minutes 'till1 o'clock position (FULL DOG ATTENTION) Then, I saw the hairs on his back stand straight up like they were spring-loaded. He was lookin' at the fiberglass wolf, struck in a 'baying-at-the-full-moon' pose. They never saw it comin'...

Cujo let loose with a howl, that I could hear in my Express 1-ton, AC runnin', windows up, and that almost sent mom and pop through the front windshield.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

'68 Charger? Yowzer! Bad ride Dude! Ya them 3-ducks can be a challenge alright. Ain't no such thing as free gas, gotta pay somehow.

I can seeapic of the Shep howlin', that's funny stuff alright!

Great stories Bro!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

I couldn't get away with nothin' when I was a kid, 'cause I always ended up tellin' on myself, like when.......

We had my G-ma's car for a few days. Mom's car was in the shop.....again.
Well, Mom went with the neighbor to a friends house one evening, for a couple of hours, and I got to stay at home...alone. (I think I was 12 )
I got the keys to G-ma's car, a '53 Stude, and went out and started it. I drove back and forth in the drive way a few times, and when I felt comforable, away I went.I drove down the road about 4 miles, turned around, and headed back. It was dark by now, and when Iwas about 50 yards fromthe house, I saw Mom goin' up the front steps.
I just knew I was a dead man. I pulled into the driveway, shut off the motor, and reluctantly went into the house. Mom asked, "where ya been?" I broke inta tears, just knowin' I was gonna get my butt whacked. I cried, "I'm sorry Mom, I'll never do it again. I just felt like I wanted to drive the car." She said, "What car?" Busted! She didn't even hear me drive up, let alone notice it was missing when she got home. For all she knew, I was out chasin' moths or somethin'. She laughed and asked if I ran into anything, I said, "No". She said, "I thought not, we taught ya to drive pretty safely." ( I'd started drivin', while sittin' on Dad's lap, when I was about 5. ) And that was the end of it. I never stole G-ma's car again.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry it took so long, but I finally got some pics together ofmy Dad's and myrace cars.

Me and Dad!

Name:  Racecars1.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  49.9 KB

This is me in $1.98, the second. Circa 1957

Name:  racecar6.jpg
Size:  74.2 KB

This is my Dad, in $1.98 the third. He and a couple of other guys got tangled up in turn 1. Note the exhaust pipes commin' out of the trunk lid.

Name:  racecar5.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  34.9 KB

Now this was my favorite of his cars, $1.98 the 4th. Circa 1959.

Name:  racecar7.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB

Now, move ahead in time to 1971. This is my first stock car.
A '55 Chevy 2dr. sedan. It had a slightly pumped 283 and a 3 sp stick.

Name:  racecar10.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  racecar11.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  42.1 KB

There's a story to go with every dent.

Now an action shot.
We we're goin' into turn 1, and came out of turn 2, 4 wide. Guess who waslow andinside, goin' into turn 3, ........allalone.

Name:  racecar2.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  40.3 KB

This was my second race car, a '62 T-Bird, with a pumped up 390.
I'm the one standin', the other guy is still a good friend of mine.

Name:  racecar8.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  63.3 KB

This was my tow car, a 1970 Road Runner, 6 pack 440 with the "Grabber" hood scoop. Had a switch on the dash that would raise the scoop. Now that, was one BAD Mopar. That's me on your right.
This is the only pic I have of 'er. [&o]

Name:  racecar4.jpg
Size:  68.4 KB

.........and now folks, are ya ready for this?
It is the one,.....
the only......
130 mph car trailer.

Name:  racecar3.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  57.8 KB

In the background is the shop where I built my cars.

I really cherrish all those days, some of the best days in my life.

Quick Reply: True Stories of........