Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

True Stories of........

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Default RE: True Stories of........

About 2002 i changed jobs and had a 45 minute drive each way to work and usually worked 12-16 hrs a day so was like a 17-18 hr day so the ride to and from got to be back roads and high speeds after a year or 2.
So 1 afternoon im cruisin this back road at about 75 and i see this 96 or so camaro midnight blue mag wheels and tinted windows commingtowards me haulin *** goin so fast the gravel along the side of the road was blasting up and dust trail behind him.
So i think to myself some kid out blowin out the cob webs thats cool so i leave my cruise control set at 75 then just as i go by the camaro slams on the brakes and within seconds is on my ***??? then i see the tiny red flashing light by the rear view of this car?? huh thatsa cop i think??
So i pull over he walks up and says do you know how fast you were goin back there?? I replie about half as fast as you were and i didnt see a car in front of you that you were chasing?? He looks at me kinda dumb founded walks to his car with my license and comes back about 2 minutes later and says ok im gonna give you a verble warning to slow down then asks me how i knew he was goin so fast??? LOL

Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

When in my early twenties, we used to hold "keggers" out in the woods around town. A favorite spot was on a hill overlooking town, where the high school seniors had paited a big "P". We figured that it stood for "Party".
Anyway, we had a good time goin', when we noticed red flashing lights commin'up the dirt road that lead to the "P". Yup, the local Gestopo was on a mission, US.
Now I ain't sayin' they were stupid, but they did lack some judgement on their ability to get us. Thedirt road, thatlead to the party, had deep ditches from water runoff. Ya had to drive on the high spots in order to navigate your way up the hill. Well, they didn't. We saw their head lights bounce about and then the cars (2) stopped, still about a mile away. As some of us left the party, about an hour and a half later, we drove by the cop's cars. The one in front had the right front tire folded up under the wheel well. He wasn't goin' anywhere. The secound car, in tryin' to get turned around, was high centered across the road. A tow truck had showed up and was trying to get the second car out of the way, so they could get to the first car.
We, drivin' 4x4 pickups, just went around them by drivin' off into the woods and then back to the road once we had gotten by the dead cop cars. One cop had to walk about 3 miles back to town to get the tow truck, since there was nobody at the station to answer the radio. They were all out tryin' to bust the party. I don't remember them ever gettin us at on of the parties at the "P".
Ah yes, life in a small town. It was grand.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]That's a good story there, blknblu68! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]* ROFL*

Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Cardboard Boxes .............[/align][/align]Just down the dirt road from our place, was a farm and ranch equipment repair, and sales business. Theywould save up their big boxes and give 'em to us kids. These suckers were huge, up to 5 feet square.[/align]We'd knock both ends open, lay them on their side, and crawl inside. Now ya crawled against the sides and got them to break down. Instant tank. [/align]We'd crawl over each other and run into all kinds of "schmidt". Trees, fences, lawnmowers, dog dishes, dogs,.......Right next to our house, was a field with stacks of hay about 10 ft. tall, and about 15 ft. square. We'd drag the boxes up to the top, get into our "tanks", follow each other off the stack, and colliding in one pile at the bottom. In the winter, we'd use 'em for sleds. First, we'd pack a hard trail with our feet.Drag the boxes to the top of the hill, and,........ "GO For It"! As fast as any toboggan!We would either go down "Tank" style, or sit on the collapsed box, and ......"Git goin', like 90". [/align]

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

( *pant-pant*...Caughtit before it slipped to page 3, whew.....!)

O.K.,
...this is just a friendly reminder, that we want some more stories.

Ya ever bought one of those "el-cheapo" Portable Garages?
Hmmm...?

I did,.......

I had one of the "tarp" type, stretched over a metal tubing frame. ( was on special from "Tool Town" or sumpin' like that ) I came home to find it demolished and my Vette untouched. Apparently, the wind came up, and my wife went to check on the Vette. The whole cover was hovering about a foot and a half off the ground, and startin' to break apart. ( All 6, 12" spikes had pulled right out of the ground. ) She, while holding onto the doorway sides, yellin' for my son across the street, is herself, being picked up off the ground. She likened it to hang gliding. LOL My sonran overto help, and the two of them were able to dismantle it, then just lay it over on it's side, with no damage to the "Starship". Ah sure do love that gal![/align]( My wife's O.K. too! ** )[/align][/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
pg

Good thing that didn't happen here, my wife and daughter only weigh 105 each, they would be para sailing over the ocean by now. PG.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

While operating my water truck at a job site......
I drove my truck under alarge pipe that stuck outfrom a large over head water tank. The tank and the parking platform was about 12 feet up from the the street just behind it. A slope of about 20*. I walked around to the passenger side, since that is where the chain was that you would pull on to open up the water valve. While standing there, waiting for my tank to fill, I noticed that my truck started to roll, backwards. I jumped up on the running board on the passenger side to open the door, leap inside and set my air brake. ( I'd forgotten to set it before I had gotten out. )
The door was locked![sm=lockeddance.gif]All I could do was hang on. The truck rolled backwards, down the bank, across the street, and headed for a garage. As the truck was rollin' back toward the garage, I had visions of a Lexus or a Caddy bein' inside, that was about to have some major body mods done by my 24 ton truck.The back of my truck came to within about 2 feet of the garage door, stopped, and then rolled back into the street. I quickly ran around to the other side, got in, and drove the truck back onto the job site. Ipulled back under the water tank, SET MY BRAKE, and proceeded to fill my truck. ( About 1000 gals of water had run all over the place and out into the street during the fiasco. )I thought I had gotten away with it, no need to say anything, since there was no damage done. The foreman came up to me later and said that the backhoe operator had seen the whole thing. Busted! Well, he didn't fire me off the job, but I got a good scolding.[&o]I admit, I had it commin', but it wasn't a big deal compared to the scareI got while riding on the running board, watching that garage getting closer and closer.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 PM
pg

Hi C3 Starship, that was a close, call glad it had a happy ending. Small world, I can't believe that someone besides me drives a "Water Truck". My truck holds 2,000 gallons and I go to the new developments and wash the streets. One day I pulled up at a fire hydrant to fill it up. A lady with two kids stopped to watch, since there is a gap at the top of the truck and you can see the water going in. 10 minutes later the truck was full and the water splashes out of the tank untill the hydrant is turned off. Well the hydrant broke, you could turn the wrench but the water kept flowing. I told the lady, "This never happened before". I asked her to go home and call the fire dept or the police or somebody.It took 6 hours for the city workers to show up and shut off the main line. During that time every home owner came over and said why don't you shut it off, I said, the wrench is right there, you want to try? To this day, I will not use that hydrant again. PG.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Don't ya just hate that feelin' of helplessness.
Since the collapseof the housing market, I haven't been running my water truck.Just not enough buisnees to warrant keepin' 'er on the road. [&o]

Here's a pic of my water truck. '76 KW, 350 Cummins, 13 sp Road Ranger, 4700 gal., five sprays, 500 gpm pump. She'll throw a stream 120' from the either of the side sprays. I can drive down my street and water my back yard by shootin' over my house. She can empty'er tank inless than 10min. I can fill 'er in about the same time, if i can find a puddle big enough. She is a self loader/drafter too. The frame and tank are aluminum.
She's an ex CDF fire tanker.

Name:  RoadTrip-Fly-in004.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  76.7 KB

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM
pg

Hi again, that is too cool! I have a sprayer by each wheel to wash the roads and one like you have in the front, but mines in the rear for dust control or to wet the rocks when they build a new road. I'll get a picture next week, PG.

Quick Reply: True Stories of........