Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Where do I park my Z06?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Default Where do I park my Z06?

Where do you guys park when you go to the store/mall/whatever? I've been
parking out away from the entrance but not way way out. It still seems like
people will park right next to me even though there are plenty of empty
spaces that are much closer to the entrance.

I'm afraid to park way way out as this seems like it is inviting some
envious vandal to do something stupid to my car. There's no way that I'm
going to take up two spaces or park at an odd angle. This seems like an open
invitation for a big ol' wad of chew (yeah, where I live guys chew tobacco)
or something worse to end up on my car.

Last week I stopped at the auto store to pick up a few things. I figured I'd
only be in there for five minutes or so. There is parking on two sides of
the store and I parked on the side opposite of the entrance. There were at
least six spots open on the side right in front of the door. I parked with
an open space to my right (away from the entrance) and three open spaces to
my left. My heart sunk when I walked out. There sat a beater 4x4 with tires
as high as my windshield right next to my drivers side. I didn't see any
dings but it made me really think. How do I avoid these dolts?

Can I really keep my vette from getting dinged up? All of my other vehicles
(OK I admit that I also have a four wheel drive truck) have door dings and
scratches.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Where do I park my Z06?

Man, you're not alone in your fears here!!! People just don't give a $hit.[:@] I try to park in the last stall, with no parking on one side or the other, and then I park far to one side in hopes that some idiot won't cram up next to me. You can't control the "Public". No respect is a sign of our times, it's all ME, ME, ME and to hell with the other guy. Sorry Dude, that's just the way it is. Maybe have a Bud go with you to keep watch (with a baseball bat). You scratch mine, I'll dent yours. (But then that don't work either, people are sue crazy)

Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: riley

Where do you guys park when you go to the store/mall/whatever? I've been
parking out away from the entrance but not way way out. It still seems like
people will park right next to me even though there are plenty of empty
spaces that are much closer to the entrance.

I'm afraid to park way way out as this seems like it is inviting some
envious vandal to do something stupid to my car. There's no way that I'm
going to take up two spaces or park at an odd angle. This seems like an open
invitation for a big ol' wad of chew (yeah, where I live guys chew tobacco)
or something worse to end up on my car.

Last week I stopped at the auto store to pick up a few things. I figured I'd
only be in there for five minutes or so. There is parking on two sides of
the store and I parked on the side opposite of the entrance. There were at
least six spots open on the side right in front of the door. I parked with
an open space to my right (away from the entrance) and three open spaces to
my left. My heart sunk when I walked out. There sat a beater 4x4 with tires
as high as my windshield right next to my drivers side. I didn't see any
dings but it made me really think. How do I avoid these dolts?

Can I really keep my vette from getting dinged up? All of my other vehicles
(OK I admit that I also have a four wheel drive truck) have door dings and
scratches.
man thats a ifey subject... i dont like to park to far away becaus im scared of some one stealing my car... and then im scared some one will scrach it..loose.. loose ...siyuation.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:14 AM

I always park with a curb to one side & hug it, or next to a handicap cuz you can get close to it & leave lots of room on the other side. Like you, I've had lots of spaces on the side of me then some beat up old car/truck parks right next to me, maybe they park there to check it out...I dunno. If I'm meeting someone, they park next to me that way I'm protected. Just saw a dumb 350Z parked up front right in the middle of 2 spaces, to me that's just asking for it! Lil 16 y.o. friend got a brand new mercedes & within 2 weeks someone keyed it in a parking lot, that's my fear! Oh well, we can't dwell on it, just be courteous & cautious when ya park!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM

Dude, you can always park your car at MY place!!

No, seriously, I completely share your fears there.. I have found no "ultimate" solution either to the dilema... if ya take up more than one spot, yer askin' for it... if you park in the boonies, yer askin' for it... like Richard said it's a lose-lose situation. I take each parking lot on it's own setup, and scan it for the best place to be... but, that hardly ever really works. I REALLY hate it, too, when you park in a lot that's 99% empty, way outta the way, and come out to see some weasel parked next to you. The hair on the back of my neck always stands up....

Old 09-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

I park where ever I can and just leave Coty, my 16 pound Resus Mequeac monkey in the car with the windows cracked just enough for him to get his long arms out. anybody gets close enough to the car hell grab'em and hangon til I come out. better than a big dog. hell he's got four hands that are like vicegrips. you aint gonna get awy. ya just have to look out for the land mines people leave when he grabs there a$$ for gettin' to close. He's cheap too just give him some Chicken McNuggets, fries and a diet coke and he's good to go.

"DO DOO Do Do DOOOO i'm lovein' it"

Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

That's funny Dude!!!
I can just see him grabbin' some blue haired ol' lady by the roots, an' her whackin' your car with her cane, while her an' the monkey are screechin' at the top of their lungs, with Chicken McNuggets, fries and diet coke just a flyin' everywhere!!!
ROFL, ROFL, ROFL

(Wish I had a camera that would take the picture I see in my mind, ROFL)

Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 AM

I don't worry too much about door dings, etc., although I suspect Riley's worry about parking next to beaters is unfounded: I suspect that whether you get a door ding or not depends on the other person's respect or admiration for your car than the condition of theirs. The guy (and I bet it was a guy) driving the beater 4x4 probably cared about cars or at least respected another guys ride. The risk is probably higher from some dizzy soccer Mom with a herd of kids in her new Lexus van who just could not give a sh** and can't control the kids every minute anyway.

All that being said, I never select parking places to try to stay away from other cars (to avoid dings, etc.) -- I figure its hopeless. I select them carefully, thought, for:
- protected on one side -- next to a divider, tree, column or light pole (now I have to be careful parking), etc. Reduces the risk
- defense: some parking spots are just asking for someone to back into them, or zip around a blind spot and plaster you, etc. I never park on the end of a row, etc. I've had one serious parking lot accident where my car was parking in a slot just asking for someone not paying attention to slam into the rear fender -- and they did!
- theft: I try to leave my car where it is very visible to traffic, etc-- less tempting for thieves or vandals to work on it out in the open

Old 09-13-2006, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

I park where ever I can and just leave Coty, my 16 pound Resus Mequeac monkey in the car with the windows cracked just enough for him to get his long arms out. anybody gets close enough to the car hell grab'em and hangon til I come out. better than a big dog. hell he's got four hands that are like vicegrips. you aint gonna get awy. ya just have to look out for the land mines people leave when he grabs there a$$ for gettin' to close. He's cheap too just give him some Chicken McNuggets, fries and a diet coke and he's good to go.

"DO DOO Do Do DOOOO i'm lovein' it"
I've always wanted a monkey that could fling poo. I think I'm jealous of you.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I don't worry too much about door dings, etc., although I suspect Riley's worry about parking next to beaters is unfounded: I suspect that whether you get a door ding or not depends on the other person's respect or admiration for your car than the condition of theirs. The guy (and I bet it was a guy) driving the beater 4x4 probably cared about cars or at least respected another guys ride. The risk is probably higher from some dizzy soccer Mom with a herd of kids in her new Lexus van who just could not give a sh** and can't control the kids every minute anyway.

All that being said, I never select parking places to try to stay away from other cars (to avoid dings, etc.) -- I figure its hopeless. I select them carefully, thought, for:
- protected on one side -- next to a divider, tree, column or light pole (now I have to be careful parking), etc. Reduces the risk
- defense: some parking spots are just asking for someone to back into them, or zip around a blind spot and plaster you, etc. I never park on the end of a row, etc. I've had one serious parking lot accident where my car was parking in a slot just asking for someone not paying attention to slam into the rear fender -- and they did!
- theft: I try to leave my car where it is very visible to traffic, etc-- less tempting for thieves or vandals to work on it out in the open
*nods emphatically* I totally agree. I am a huge fan of the "protected on one side" method of parkingology. As a matter of fact, I'll get Mrs. TopSpeed to hop out when we find one, so I can snug right up on the protected side as much as possible, to give as much room as I can to the other side of the car hoping to reduce changes of damage. Great post!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where do I park my Z06?