Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Who drives your Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Who drives your Vette?

I just let a friend of mine drive my '87 to West Virginia to see his Dad. I let him drive it the other day to get a feel for it and he was like a kid in a candy store. He just arrived there at 4 am this morning and called to let me know he was there and I could hear his Mom and Dad in the background thanking me for letting him drive it. His little truck would not have made it and his Dad is really sick. It made me feel good to beable to help him out.

Like was said...anybody that can be trusted is more than welcome.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Definately nobody who asks!! For some reason...those who ask seen to turn into a irresponsible 5 year old in my eyes! Weird huh?!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's because, those who never have, are the ones who will ask. It's the "kid in the candy store" syndrome. Anyone who has had a nice rod, knows better. They will wait to be offered.
I find the same symtoms when someone asks to play my guitar. No Way! I will offer it to a seasoned, respectful musician though.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM

My wife has no interest in the vette so that's not even an issue although she could use it whenever she wants to. When I bought the car three years ago the boy ( our youngest who was 12 yrs at the time) was pretty exited about it, I told him if he gets into the University of Michigan on a hockey scholarship then he could use the car while he's in school. However since then he's shown very little interest in it, I have let him drive it a few times while I'm ridin' shotgun, He's now in driver's ed. so maybe he'll have a little more interest.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:58 PM

[align=left]IN 1990, I had my dad pick my 73 454 up at the shop when I was on the road. 2 days later he had a stroke... but all it affected was some of his speech. When he came to, he kept saying 130... 130... found out later that was how fast he went. Two things happened after that. He never remembered that he used to smoke 2 packs a day... and today, at 77 years old... the old fart is in better shape than me! I won't let him drive my Vette anymore... he lost maybe 10-15% of his brain that day... I don't think he can afford to loose any more! The wife won't even touch it.
Wedge
[/align][align=left] [/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1044/582CEEDFE5674799AFE0450DD22FDED8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1044/293B5C1C70D341369A7129D0FAA050BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry about your Dad.
That is a fine ride ya have. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 AM

That stroke saved his life. It made him slow down... literally... and take it easy, which he needed to do. He was a pilot formost of his 32 years in theNavy... so he pretty much had to be busy all the time. His rehab was to work out at a gym, he lost almost 70 lbs, and has regained all speech that was damaged. We still ski together at least 3 days a week in the winter, and last year he bought his dreamcar, a 2004 Thunderbird. I think he's a little shy of Vettes!
Later...
Wedge
Went to the Montana State Vette meet in Missoula today. Got some good shots of some C3's I'll post later.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Well, not too many people have asked and I am usually slow to offer. My husband ,of course, can drive itand my brothers ( be praying the entire time my younger brother has it []) and my dad if he wanted to, but nonephews . . . no way. I love them dearly, but if I have trouble staying mature while behind the wheel, how can I expect them to behave. I let this guy I work withwhom is retiring drive it because he has always loved vettes. Except for forgetting to release the emergency brake, he treated my baby very well. It is such an awsome car, I understand this oversight, as he was just so excited.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Wedge

[align=left]IN 1990, I had my dad pick my 73 454 up at the shop when I was on the road. 2 days later he had a stroke... but all it affected was some of his speech. When he came to, he kept saying 130... 130... found out later that was how fast he went. Two things happened after that. He never remembered that he used to smoke 2 packs a day... and today, at 77 years old... the old fart is in better shape than me! I won't let him drive my Vette anymore... he lost maybe 10-15% of his brain that day... I don't think he can afford to loose any more! The wife won't even touch it.
Wedge
[/align][align=left][/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1044/582CEEDFE5674799AFE0450DD22FDED8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1044/293B5C1C70D341369A7129D0FAA050BE.jpg[/IMG]
Glad to hear your dad recovered from the stroke and what a great post this is, but tell me - how do you stay mature driving that beautiful beast?

Your pics are awesome - way cool ride!

p.s. Just showed your pics to my husband and he said you did an incredible job - kudos to you from the Jensens

Old 05-27-2007, 01:32 PM

At 48... the last thing I remain is mature... it certainly gets the kid in me to come out. I recently found out the speedo is off by 10-13 mph... all this time driving at 70... thinking I was being responsible when in reality I was pushing 83...at least the HP officer liked Vettes and let me off. Not too adult on my part though... Thanks for the compliments, this is a great site!
Wedge
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Who drives your Vette?