Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Default Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

Hi I'm new to the Forum, I have a '05 RedZ51 Vettewithexaust and ram air intake.I was driving towards Point PleasantBeach in Jerseyon the Garden State when two guys about 25 and 30 years old,one driving a '06 YellowPorsche 911 S Vert, and the other a '05 Black Dodge SRT-10 Viper pull next to meon a three lane parkway, I'm in the middle lane, the 911 to my left, the Viper to my right.Then the 911 guy smiles and the Viper gives me the thumbs up. We are all going about 70 mph at this point when theViper beeps his horn three times we punch it, and at about 120mph I two cars on the 911 and about a half a car on the Viper, then we hit about 150, the 911, out of it slows down and pulls back, now it's just me and the Viper I have about a car on him till we hit about 165-170 mph,wide open, clear roadsand now I have about a car and a half,he lets off beeps his horn and pulls back. About a mile down aftermy hearts pounding and I've slowed down to about 80 mph the two pull up next to me again same lanes and smileandshake their heads witha look of shock that theCorvetteAmericanBruiser just beat thier Porsche Excellence andViper V10 power. Then they get off two exits later together, they must have been friends. So it was an exciting run for me, and I had a blastgivingtwo Corvette rivalsthe snub on the roadlast weekend!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Default RE: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

I love reading stories like this, Nice Job!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

Wow, I can understand thePorsches aren't very fast (I know, I have one even the newest are justfair game for a C5s), but the Viper should have killed you: they weigh only a bit more and have about 440 RWHP.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM

I know I thought the Viper would beat me, I don't know about kill me, because Vettes are very underestimated they are geared very well to be very fast whether you are running from a dead stop or already moving, they are so light and have such great torque, but I actually have read and seen alot of Vettes beat Vipers, they are extremely powerful, but I had a friend who always had Vettes and bought a Viper and said they arent geared great and there traction at high speeds varies depending on the conditions, and theVipers are not consistent performers, they also don't run the same unless the conditions are perfect, which is understandable because they are cars built to act as racecars for the track and a Vette is a racecar on the track and road! Plus it's a Dodge, very unreliable too, my friend got rid of it immediately and boguht a new Vette Convertible, for the money they are stylish and nothing performs the way a Vette does for the money! And the new '08 C6's are gonna steal some Euro fans away with there new grade high quality interior, hopefully so everyone can enjoy America's (Favorite) Sports Car!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 AM

I read what you say, but it runs counter to everything I've read from credible sources (at the moment, being new here, and with no posts except a couple of grand stories of incredible victories in very high speed street races on well-known public highways, you aren't among those yet) and more important, its also counter to everything I've seen and experienced in a lot of racing and contact with many other cars, including many Vipers, stock and modded.
1) A recent model Viper has much more power and torque than a standard c6 or even the new 08 C6 will. HP rules, particularly above 100 mph.
2) Vettes are not underestimated (by whom by the way? I've never heard this characterization). Speaking of gearing, 4th on up is a weakness in them, unless a close-ratio gearset has been installed (very rare unless racing).
3) Unless the conditions are perfect? Really!! Vipers are about the least finicky car to keep tuned on the street -- they make their power with pure cubes, they have fair gearing, a great suspension, and big big tires. They are very fast under just about all conditions. A few, particularly older models, prior to '05, are very tricky to drive fast (but not is a straight line). There is another thread here ("Been challenged by an SRT10 or something like that)where I talk about my experience with various Vipers, etc.

Standard Viper versus standard Vette, both 06s?Nine times out of ten theViper will put about 5 lengths on the vette in the quarter and be adding a length every two seconds at end. The mods you report (exhaust, which I assume means headers, too, and cold air) add a bit of power but no way will they make up that deficit, whiich is basically 100 HP. Viper vs ZO6? Fairly even with a slight advantage to the vette: it will win about six or seven out of every ten matches by a length or so.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Lee Willis, I don't know what your problem is but obviously you dont like to drive fast on raods besides a track, which is fine but some of us enjoy our cars everywhere, and there are people who can't drive their cars for ****, or I know place in Jersey that rents cars like the ones I raced, and the two guys might have rented them for theday and didnt know the cars, I don't know, and my sources come from a guy who has car racing teams, I don't go by magazines because those tests are not real road tests most of the time, they are tracks and I said I thoguht the Viper would beat me, but it didn't I have no reason to lie, go to a dragstriplike Raceway Park believe it or not this is not the first Vette to beat a Viper so keep your negative input to yourself and if you don't like my posts ignore them so I can enjoy this forum instead wasting time writing back to yournegative feedback so when you see CoolestCorvette873 leave it alone and I'll be sure not to look at any Lee Willis threads!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: CoolestCorvette873

Lee Willis, I don't know what your problem is but obviously you dont like to drive fast on raods besides a track, which is fine but some of us enjoy our cars everywhere, and there are people who can't drive their cars for ****, or I know place in Jersey that rents cars like the ones I raced, and the two guys might have rented them for theday and didnt know the cars, I don't know, and my sources come from a guy who has car racing teams, I don't go by magazines because those tests are not real road tests most of the time, they are tracks and I said I thoguht the Viper would beat me, but it didn't I have no reason to lie, go to a dragstriplike Raceway Park believe it or not this is not the first Vette to beat a Viper so keep your negative input to yourself and if you don't like my posts ignore them so I can enjoy this forum instead wasting time writing back to yournegative feedback so when you see CoolestCorvette873 leave it alone and I'll be sure not to look at any Lee Willis threads!
Just so you know CoolestCorvette, Lee really knows what hes talking about, I don't think hes picking on you just trying to be logical. Just look through this racing forum and you will see he has gone quite fast on public roads (look at lees top speed thread). He also does it at times where it is safe. I would take what he says to heart for the most part, he has a bad *** vette and basically knows allthe ins and outs of these C5s. Anyway good kills and be safe!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Honestly this is the first Vette forum I've ever joined, I owned six Corvettes, two 350Z's, and two Porsches, I've joined all other forums and barely ever had a problem, but I'm on this forum for not even a day, I just got engaged and should be happy, but nowI'm frustrated with how I'm being treated I know stock for stock Vipers are faster than Vettes for $80k it should be, but not every Viper has a good driver behind the wheel, just like Vettes, I've seen Vettes get crushed on the track by a WRX w/ minor mods and Srt-4's w/ minor mods, but I think we can all agree here that a Vette is far more superior than a WRX or a Neon! LOL! But if anyone, including Lee Willis, has a problem with me being here on thi forum, and Lee Willis you might not but I got the impression that you don't like me and I was pissed so I got testy with you on my replies, but I don't want any problems I understaqnd you guys are here a long time and I would like to be apart of it with no problems! Sound good? Do Lee Willis if you don't have any problems with me lets just end this back and forth bullcrap and all get along.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: CoolestCorvette873

Honestly this is the first Vette forum I've ever joined, I owned six Corvettes, two 350Z's, and two Porsches, I've joined all other forums and barely ever had a problem, but I'm on this forum for not even a day, I just got engaged and should be happy, but nowI'm frustrated with how I'm being treated I know stock for stock Vipers are faster than Vettes for $80k it should be, but not every Viper has a good driver behind the wheel, just like Vettes, I've seen Vettes get crushed on the track by a WRX w/ minor mods and Srt-4's w/ minor mods, but I think we can all agree here that a Vette is far more superior than a WRX or a Neon! LOL! But if anyone, including Lee Willis, has a problem with me being here on thi forum, and Lee Willis you might not but I got the impression that you don't like me and I was pissed so I got testy with you on my replies, but I don't want any problems I understaqnd you guys are here a long time and I would like to be apart of it with no problems! Sound good? Do Lee Willis if you don't have any problems with me lets just end this back and forth bullcrap and all get along.
Sounds good to me.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Nice story! I live in Jersey also. I never see cool cars to race! And nobody has provoked me to race yet :-/ so no fun for me. I guess the vette is too intimidating around here.

I hear you about forums being teh suck. Always ends up being a huge pissing contest. Thats why I don't post much.

Quick Reply: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!