Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Actually, his original story was very clear about the cars he claimed he ran and I guessed correctly that it was the Mustang Cobra. I do consider all three -- Viper, Porsche, and Cobraamong "the top dogs on the street"(as is the 'vette) even if they are not all the very fastest in every category. But I'm not adolescent enough in my thinking to let what I own cloud my judgement -- vettes' are very fast but not the fastest out there, by far.
Upon looking up some facts,however, doI think that in addition to the Viper, the Porsche actually should have beat a lightly modded C6 -- he claimed he ran a Carrera 2S. According to Road and Track the 4S (147 lb heavier than the 2S) runs the quarter in 12.6 versus 12.8 for a standard C6. R&T's figures are usually slow for any car but their relative times are always very dependable measures of relative performance. I'd expect a 2S coupe to take the C6 off the line but the 200 lb heavier convertible to only hang with it, but both the 2S coupe or convertible to slowly out-accelerate it from 75 on up, and then just walka way from it above 100. One the particularly wrong facts int he original post was that Corvettes are fast due to gearing. Ifn fact they are geared for acceleration in 1st through 3rd and economy on the top three gears. By contrast, Porschesare geared well all the way to the top--they will just reach top speed at rev limit in top gear, meaning that from 100 up they have 4th, 5th and 6th nicely and closely spaced. The result is that C5s and C6s are relative dogs once they get into 4th compared to the either S model.

And you are right, Chargedvette, the Cobra is heavy, and thus not that fast ( a 500 HPcar that can, according to R&T again, only equal the 1/4 mile time of a a standard 400 HP C6. But the GT500 is avery nice car. I drove one at my son's dealership and while it does feel heavy (at least, when driven back to back with Porsche), it had a very well-made, smooth, and precision feel which surprised me, andjust great torque. And it was comfortable and roomy. It reminds me of the Chrysler300s of the mid 50s --big and powerful and heavy and theultimatecross country road car, particularly if you planning on traveling at 100+mph speeds for long distances.
I wasnt saying they arent nice, I was just saying they are kinda slow for the numbers they are putting out.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

Oh, I agree with you . . . . GT 500s are heavy, and big, but my point is that they are fairly nice cars. It's even worse with car I'm thinking about, the Bentley Continental GT. It weighs 5200 lbs!! But it has a 552 HP twin turbo engine and so it moves damn good for its weight -- almost as good as the GT500. I guess my point is that there is more to a car than pure speed (otherwise I'd drive a Lotus), and at least at my age, ride, comfort, and interior style mattera lot.

I'm not so far gone thatyou'll see me in a Buick anytime soon, but a 5200 lb. Bentley -- maybe in time . . .

Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Oh, I agree with you . . . . GT 500s are heavy, and big, but my point is that they are fairly nice cars. It's even worse with car I'm thinking about, the Bentley Continental GT. It weighs 5200 lbs!! But it has a 552 HP twin turbo engine and so it moves damn good for its weight -- almost as good as the GT500. I guess my point is that there is more to a car than pure speed (otherwise I'd drive a Lotus), and at least at my age, ride, comfort, and interior style mattera lot.

I'm not so far gone thatyou'll see me in a Buick anytime soon, but a 5200 lb. Bentley -- maybe in time . . .
I would love to see a pic of you in a Bentley! That would be bad *** and I could say I talk to someone that owns a Bentley. So are you saying you don't like Lotuses or you do? I would love to own one just because of how they stand out.

One of the local bar owners not too far from where I live has a lotus (actually him and his buddy have one) and they definitely stand out when you see them on the road. But he said that it is not a comfort car, I believe his exact words where "you can ride over a dime and tell what year it is."

Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM

Oh, I like Lotus alot. I would not want one as a daily driver, but as a fun car and something just to own and play with it would be cool. My problem is I don't have anywhere to keep all the cars I'd like to own (there is no limit) and I have a wife who believes there are other things in life besides cars, such as new kitchens and week long vacation trips on the American Orient Express, etc.

I am a big fan of the Lotus philosophy, which has been pretty consistent all the way back to Colin Chapman (I actual met and shook hands with him, oh, must have been 40 years ago), which always has been: keep it light and small and use as near-perfect suspension geometry as you can. I don't particularly like the styling of the current models, however. My favorite street Lotus is the Elan, least favorite the Europa, and I'd love to have a redElan S with original hardtop in good shape, but again, where would I keep it?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=hiya.gif]Right here Lee! I'll empty out my storage container and we'll slip 'er inside.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
ljg

Vettes rule

Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Racing in excess of 100 mph on a public highway? And, of all that you can choose, you choose one that is notorious for accidents involving speed. I'll engage with you here. Sorry about the characterization, but, you are an idiot. I will probably hear about and see you on WNBC. Hopefully, no one else will be involved.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

Just so you know CoolestCorvette, Lee really knows what hes talking about, I don't think hes picking on you just trying to be logical. Just look through this racing forum and you will see he has gone quite fast on public roads (look at lees top speed thread). He also does it at times where it is safe. I would take what he says to heart for the most part, he has a bad *** vette and basically knows allthe ins and outs of these C5s. Anyway good kills and be safe!
Yes Lee may know alot but what he doesn't know is that anything CAN happen on the street!!!!! Yes the viper should of beat him BUTTTTTTT it didn't. Maybe the guy screwed up a shift or can't shift fast whatsoever. WHO CARES, he beat the viper, end of story.

Seriously though Lee, there is a a drag racing section in here. Not everybody races at the track. So either make this just a drag racing kills at a track or just leave people alone and let them post. Now I know why guys don't like to come and post on this forum. DAMN!!!

btw great kills Coolest Corvette!!!!! Keep em coming.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Oh, come on scramblerman. You don't think we're that stupid, do you?

Anything can happen on the street, but this didn't happen . . . and I think you know it very well . . . .

Don't bother arguing or protesting, I won't reply. See, I know . . . .

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM

Oh, come on scramblerman. You don't think we're that stupid, do you?

Anything can happen on the street, but this didn't happen . . . and I think you know it very well . . . .

Don't bother arguing or protesting, I won't reply. See, I know . . . .
+1

Quick Reply: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!