Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Default RE: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

He's entitled to post his stories, but not to be rude when people say "bull!" which is what I'm doing. (I was trying to be polite but he got downright mean on another thread).

Regardless,stories like this very quickly gain a forum member the reputation he or she deserves. I meet lots of kids who act like this and talk like this -- fastest car around, lots of big vitories that sound too good to be true, and generally: a) they get into trouble, soon, b) they lose a lot of money in match races because their cars can live up to their mouth.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

He's entitled to post his stories, but not to be rude when people say "bull!" which is what I'm doing. (I was trying to be polite but he got downright mean on another thread).

Regardless,stories like this very quickly gain a forum member the reputation he or she deserves. I meet lots of kids who act like this and talk like this -- fastest car around, lots of big vitories that sound too good to be true, and generally: a) they get into trouble, soon, b) they lose a lot of money in match races because their cars can live up to their mouth.
I don't think you have ever called me out on one of my stories Lee.I guess thats a good thing.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

I don't think you have ever called me out on one of my stories Lee.I guess thats a good thing.
That's because your stories have an element of truth about them, and over time I've come to trust what you post, and to respect you,all the more so because you're one of the younger owners (particularly for a car which could take a Viper, easily) and yet you don't BS and are pretty responsible in your ownership.

For example, you told a great story on 7/9 about the Enzo, etc.,just sort of ignoring you, etc. It's a good story with a the ring of truth to it. But the type of person I don't respect would have turned that brief encounter into an epic race down I-70 East in which he was leading the Enzo by a few lengths when it finally topped out at its 202 mph rev limit near Pena Avenue andhe leftit in the dust. (By the way, a stock Enzo has less margin on your car than 11.1 to about 11.5 seconds in the quarter) that the Viper has onthe 'vette (about .5 second). Not suggesting you take you one on,

Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

That's because your stories have an element of truth about them, and over time I've come to trust what you post, and to respect you,all the more so because you're one of the younger owners (particularly for a car which could take a Viper, easily) and yet you don't BS and are pretty responsible in your ownership.

For example, you told a great story on 7/9 about the Enzo, etc.,just sort of ignoring you, etc. It's a good story with a the ring of truth to it. But the type of person I don't respect would have turned that brief encounter into an epic race down I-70 East in which he was leading the Enzo by a few lengths when it finally topped out at its 202 mph rev limit near Pena Avenue andhe leftit in the dust. (By the way, a stock Enzo has less margin on your car than 11.1 to about 11.5 seconds in the quarter) that the Viper has onthe 'vette (about .5 second). Not suggesting you take you one on,

Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 PM

[/align]Like I said Lee if you have a problem than just say it, I have lost many races just as I am sure you have too, I've toyed with Ferrari's and Labos and lost, but its a Corvette forum, where is the fun in speaking about Vettes losing but clearly thats what you want to hear, everyone has good days, or maybe you havn't, maybe you've never had a bad driver behind the wheel in the car next to you, so call bull if you want, I said I was sorry for being rude, but instead of calling me a child, you be a man and instead of saying no offense which is always almost worse that just coming out and saying I don't believe you, because it is an oximoron, but I made my peace and said I was sorry if you want to continue your "well this is a pissing contest" well than I'm sorry I wont continue and if you want me to leave the forum I'd ahve no problem donig so there are plenty of Vette forums with good guys running them, if your an admin than you should be ashamed of yourself and if your not than honestly just say what you really want would this forum be better without me Lee because if that is how you feel or anyone else than I'll just go, obviously there're some big egos around here who feel they are veterans to a forum oh my god! Its a forum for god sakes this means crap to me because in the end I still have my Vette and I'll always have one regardless, going on my sixth!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: CoolestCorvette873

[/align]Like I said Lee if you have a problem than just say it, I have lost many races just as I am sure you have too, I've toyed with Ferrari's and Labos and lost, but its a Corvette forum, where is the fun in speaking about Vettes losing but clearly thats what you want to hear, everyone has good days, or maybe you havn't, maybe you've never had a bad driver behind the wheel in the car next to you, so call bull if you want, I said I was sorry for being rude, but instead of calling me a child, you be a man and instead of saying no offense which is always almost worse that just coming out and saying I don't believe you, because it is an oximoron, but I made my peace and said I was sorry if you want to continue your "well this is a pissing contest" well than I'm sorry I wont continue and if you want me to leave the forum I'd ahve no problem donig so there are plenty of Vette forums with good guys running them, if your an admin than you should be ashamed of yourself and if your not than honestly just say what you really want would this forum be better without me Lee because if that is how you feel or anyone else than I'll just go, obviously there're some big egos around here who feel they are veterans to a forum oh my god! Its a forum for god sakes this means crap to me because in the end I still have my Vette and I'll always have one regardless, going on my sixth!
Again man don't take it personal. The more members the better and if you have stories to tell.......tell them. Just be prepared for some people to call you out. Lee is not an admin but he may be the most knowledgeable person on these forums. Also i'm not nut swinging, I have just read many posts from him and he does know wtf hes talking about, trust me. Again, don't take it personal andstay around!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 AM

[/align]Like I said Lee if you have a problem than just say it, . . .
Wow, now you tell me to say it, earlier and in another thread you said I should be quiet. As I said, you're being rude.

I don't have a problem with you posting blarney but when you do you will have to get used to people calling it for what it is. I love this forum for both the decorum and respect members show one anotherand because ot the near total lack of adolescent, irresponsible street racing BS and bragging (lying) that you see on other forums. So, I won'tsit idlyby and let BS like this yours pass without comment. You sort of popped onto this forum new and rude, and never tried to fit in.In your first couple of days you poststories about epic (and dangerous) road races in which your Corvette beats three of the big dogs out on the street (Porsche, Viper, Cobra) and all the very latest model, too. Never mind that such cars are far and few between and that most drivers here or anywhere else seldom even see those three out on the street in a month (in five years of cruising and driving I have encountered one Viper on the street in a situation where I could have raced - we didn't partly because he was respnsible like me: I looked over at him and smiled and he shook his head and yelled "Not here, now now, and besides, I've heard about your car!").

But your story is that you managed to run into all three of these street champions in justa fewdays, andcoincidently all three in situations in which you could engage in long, high speed races -- in one case to therev limit --on public roads at betweentwo and three times the speed limit, always beating them soundly with a car that just doesn't have the HPor modification that make it a credible story.I don't believe your story: it is just too extreme and unlikely on numerous counts, butI have no respect for anyone who even thinks that type of racing or speed on a public road you don't know is closed and empty is ever tolerable, let alone something to admire. I

Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 PM

[/align]Well Lee Willis,I'm sorry you feel that way about my stories and I'm sorry you feel that way about racing on the street, I can't argue that it is stupid but I just can't help it, but there is one last thing I must say I never claimed to have raced the three newest top dogs and I would hardly call a Cobra or a Porsche a top dog, both are slower than a Vette in every category and both arenot worth the price oyu pay and both are notorious in headaches when it comes to transmission or electronic problems I know becasue I own five transmission shops! The Cobra I raced eas not the new Shelby Cobra it was the old SVT, and that is all I have to say and as for not running into those kinds of cars all the time, I'm sorry you havn't had that luck, I really am becasue where I live Vettes, Porsches, Blown Stangs, Prowlers, etc...are very popular cars, and I even have seen a couple of Vipers mostly Red, Black, and Silver, onlyone Blue, and even have managed to see a handful of Ferrari's and Lambos together. So if you don't believe me that is fine, I feel you could've been better about saying it,and I know I could've handled it better, and again I'm sorry so I'd rather put this behind us and just try to get along if that is okay with everyone, I don't want to fight or be a rude jacka$$ to anyone on the forum, so lets all put everything behind us and just take chill pills, soundokay to everyone?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 AM

[/align]Well Lee Willis,I'm sorry you feel that way about my stories and I'm sorry you feel that way about racing on the street, I can't argue that it is stupid but I just can't help it, but there is one last thing I must say I never claimed to have raced the three newest top dogs and I would hardly call a Cobra or a Porsche a top dog, both are slower than a Vette in every category and both arenot worth the price oyu pay and both are notorious in headaches when it comes to transmission or electronic problems I know becasue I own five transmission shops! The Cobra I raced eas not the new Shelby Cobra it was the old SVT, and that is all I have to say and as for not running into those kinds of cars all the time, I'm sorry you havn't had that luck, I really am becasue where I live Vettes, Porsches, Blown Stangs, Prowlers, etc...are very popular cars, and I even have seen a couple of Vipers mostly Red, Black, and Silver, onlyone Blue, and even have managed to see a handful of Ferrari's and Lambos together. So if you don't believe me that is fine, I feel you could've been better about saying it,and I know I could've handled it better, and again I'm sorry so I'd rather put this behind us and just try to get along if that is okay with everyone, I don't want to fight or be a rude jacka$$ to anyone on the forum, so lets all put everything behind us and just take chill pills, soundokay to everyone?
Actually the new Shelby Cobra with 500 hp isnt really any faster in the 1/4 mile than the 400 hp svt. The svt cobra weighs in at like 3700 lbs and the shelby cobra is in at over 4000 lbs, what a fat pig of acar. Since you beat your buddys svt cobra you would def beat a stock shelby cobra.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM

Actually, his original story was very clear about the cars he claimed he ran and I guessed correctly that it was the Mustang Cobra. I do consider all three -- Viper, Porsche, and Cobraamong "the top dogs on the street"(as is the 'vette) even if they are not all the very fastest in every category. But I'm not adolescent enough in my thinking to let what I own cloud my judgement -- vettes' are very fast but not the fastest out there, by far.
Upon looking up some facts,however, doI think that in addition to the Viper, the Porsche actually should have beat a lightly modded C6 -- he claimed he ran a Carrera 2S. According to Road and Track the 4S (147 lb heavier than the 2S) runs the quarter in 12.6 versus 12.8 for a standard C6. R&T's figures are usually slow for any car but their relative times are always very dependable measures of relative performance. I'd expect a 2S coupe to take the C6 off the line but the 200 lb heavier convertible to only hang with it, but both the 2S coupe or convertible to slowly out-accelerate it from 75 on up, and then just walka way from it above 100. One the particularly wrong facts int he original post was that Corvettes are fast due to gearing. Ifn fact they are geared for acceleration in 1st through 3rd and economy on the top three gears. By contrast, Porschesare geared well all the way to the top--they will just reach top speed at rev limit in top gear, meaning that from 100 up they have 4th, 5th and 6th nicely and closely spaced. The result is that C5s and C6s are relative dogs once they get into 4th compared to the either S model.

And you are right, Chargedvette, the Cobra is heavy, and thus not that fast ( a 500 HPcar that can, according to R&T again, only equal the 1/4 mile time of a a standard 400 HP C6. But the GT500 is avery nice car. I drove one at my son's dealership and while it does feel heavy (at least, when driven back to back with Porsche), it had a very well-made, smooth, and precision feel which surprised me, andjust great torque. And it was comfortable and roomy. It reminds me of the Chrysler300s of the mid 50s --big and powerful and heavy and theultimatecross country road car, particularly if you planning on traveling at 100+mph speeds for long distances.

Quick Reply: Raced a '06 Porsche 911 S Convertible and a '05 Viper on the Garden State Parkway and WON!