Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here...

Raced an EVO Today.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Raced an EVO Today.

Lee, i have always felt that the top gear acceleration tests were a bit uneven. take, for example, the test between the new Mustang GT, and the new Charger RT. the top gear accel test, from 50-100, or something like that, takes the mustang some 10 seconds, while the charger did it in like 5 or 6. the reason that i think it does this is because theyre testing an MTX mustang, and an automatic charger. if youre in a manual car, and youre going 50 in high gear, for one, your not in the correct gear to tear up to 100, but even if youre gonna try, you put the hammer down, and youre no where near the power band. on the other hand, with the charger in an atx, you put the hammer down,a nd the auto trans drops into passing gear.

the test that you posted has the charger, which i know is an auto and the gto numbers would dictate an auto, as 13.3 for an mtx ls2 would be awful. on the other hand, the Sti and Evo arent offered in autos.

i am, however, shocked that the STi won the 1/4 contest. do you know what years the imports were?

Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Top gear tests are worthless anymore because so many cars have overdrive top gears. But the 30-100 times I compared were based on the acceleration numbers in the test, not just top-gear runs, just the difference between the 0-100 and 0-30 times, and indicate how fast the cars are in a rolling-start drag race (the type you typically run on the street). Here, the EVO and STI will get killed by just about any big V-8 -- I would not be suprirsed if a stock Mustang GT coulnd't take one 30-100, although I haven't checke4d.

The charger is available only with a 5-speed auto but it still is pretty fast. For a daily driver I prefer an auto, at least if it is "smart": I have a 5-speed Tiptronic in my Porsche (maybe the smartest automatic i've ever driven) and it makes for a quicker car in traffic than a six-speed would be, and its reasonably fast (quarter mile in 13.5). Despite the transmission, from 40 up it is a bit faster than an Suburu STI as I dueled with one on US 64 one day: about what you'd expect since it weighs a bit less and has 320 versus 300 HP.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

my current DD has an "auto stick" and while i would prefer to have gotten a stick, a knee problem prevented that at the time. however, as autos go, this one gives you a great deal of control. the reason that i asked about the years of the imports, is because the newer Evos are a little stronger, and the IX and newer have larger turbos, stock.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:22 AM

I've gotta take the time to get behind the wheel of an EVO or WRX. I've never had the chance to drive on of these AWD sports cars to see how they feel. The only turbo charged car I have driven is my friends '03 VW Golf GTI which had a decent amount of power (but then again I was driving a V6 Mustang at the time and had no idea what real power was).

Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 PM

I drove a Suburu STI (the new model) recently and it really is okay. It has reasonable low end torque -- I was a bit surprised, but is still going to be a pain daily in traffic. These are good cars, powerful, a bit noisy and jittery, but more quality and feel than I expected, and with a nice "attitude."

I really prefer a good auto-stick type auto trans for a daily driver, particularly if you have little low end torque and have ti dice with traffic. The problem with driving a car like the Honda S2000 (I hate to pick on this car, but I've never driven a car that had less torque down low in comparison to power up top) is not that you have to shift all the time to get any power. What I displie is that you have to a n t i c i p a t e shifting when you need it, its a constant effort to think ahead, etc.
When I bought my Porsche I was concerend about low end torque so I got the Tiptronic. It has paddle shifters on the steering wheel but what I like best is that it is very smart - its adapative and after several months just seems to knows when to shift hard, soft, when to hold a gear. But the best part is that you can force a downshift: I know most auto transmissions will kick down if you floor the car, but the Prosche has a feature nothing else I've owned had. I can force a downshift -- even a double downshift, by just "tapping" the throttle (push down hard but only a bit -- its the rate of push not the distance that does it) then let up in the blink of an eye, -- so short of a time the engine hardly has time to repsond). Similarly you can force an upshift by letting up instantly on the throttle just a bit, then back down. It takes practice but it is the coolest feature in traffic.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:18 PM

That Porsche sounds like a nice ride what model is it?

Old 11-06-2005, 09:32 PM

It is a 2004 Carrera 2 - basically a "bottom of the line" 911 - 3.6 liter, 320 HP, 275 ft lbs torque, about 3100 lbs, Tiptronic 5-speed non-overdrive transmission (will redline in 5th gear at 171 mph). I bought it after the 2006 997ss came out and decided on it because I could get an entire $10K off sticker and it was 110 lbs lighter, with the same engine, as the newer model. Its pretty fast - jumps a length out in front of a C5 A4 convertible right of the line (doesn't spin its tires with all that wiegh on the rear axle) and stays there (but can't pull any more ahead) up to as fast as we tested (about 100). Does not corner or brake any better than a vette but it is way smoother and quieter and it feels "quicker" - can zip around road explanades and tight corners because it has a shorter wheelbase.

I bought it because, for good or bad, I had modified my vette to where I wouldn't drive it every day. The vette is driveable daily, but a bit extreme, but mostly I just worry about the (uninsured) money I have tied up in it in traffic: I could not afford to replace the engine or major damage. The Porsche makes a greaty daily driver but it is surprisingly basic. It has leather (including, believe it or not, a leather headliner), power windows, etc., ABS, stability control, etc. but no power seats, no dual climate control, 18" wheels only, no automatic darkening mirrors or auto-dimming headlights or auto-turn on wipers or headlight washers, no adjustable suspension, or ceramic brakes or turbo or antying. It does have a Bose sound system that is incredible (but only with the rear seats folded down, when up they completely block (are right up against) the rear speakers). Single CD player only.

The thing that is amazing is that it had $18k in "options" on it that were all driving oriented: things I thought it should have as the base model (salesman told me no one imports the base model into the US, mine is pretty much the bottom as imported, but the options including a sport suspension and upgraded tires and wheels and one unusual option even for this dealer:::: a $2400 "sport exhaust" which IS cool: rather snarly unless you push a button on the dashboard that cuts in an extra set of mufflers and then it is as quiet as a Honda Accord, and it loses only 4 HP (I had to have it dynoed--261 with extra mufflers turned on vs. 265 RWHP without): I turn it on each morning before starting off to work at 6 AM so I don't annoy my neighbors.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

youre a lucky man lee, you have some awesome cars...[8D]

Old 11-08-2005, 09:31 PM

Yeah, of course I drove beaters, such as a 14 year old Dodge "V-7" (Dodge V8 with one cylinder that just nothing would make work) for years while I raised and put three kids through college before I "got rich."

I want more: my dream is to own a 1953 Buick SKylark convertible with the wire wheels and the supercharger (really, they are hideously ugly but very very cool), a 70 427 Corvette, a red 94-96 C4 with an aftermarket small block 427, and then my present 427 C5( I'd own 3 generations of 427), but my wife says anything goes, even an Aston DB9 to replace the Porsche in a few years -- but only two cars at a time. And the vette stays forever.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 AM

I can't believe Vette guys and gals talking about an EVO. These sleds weigh 3200/3300 lbs and have 286 hp. My stock Vette in good air runs 12.65/12.70. I should say almost stock. Blackwing, custom tune and a 3:42 with an A4. At the strip with my DR's I can launch hard with no tire spin. On the street I control the throttle and again, no tire spin on street tires.

There is no way an EVO, even with 4 wheel drive can keep up even from a standing start. A 1/4 mile race wouldn't even be close. The Vette would finish by several car lengths. And we should talk apples to apples. An EVO on spray vs a Vette on spray. Again, not even close.

I hope you folks don't mind me butting in. I'm a very humble guy. Intelligent, good looking and one of the best drag racers on the planet. I also have a hard time expressing myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raced an EVO Today.