Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

remote function actuation module (RFA)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Default remote function actuation module (RFA)

I am new to the forum. I have a 2000 C5 hardtop that I saw assembled at Bowling Green and received a birthcertificate. I was also able to ride with the test driver on the trial run with a video camera. I teach auto mechanics at the local high school and my students loved the video.

My car currently has 49000 miles and has received no maintenance, except for required recalls. I loved the car, but here is my question. Four months ago my keyfob would not function. I changed the battery and tried to reprogram the keyfob without success. I took it to two chevrolet dealers and one dealer tried a new keyfob that did not correct the problem. The next chevrolet dealer, which was known for quality C5 repairs, the technician explained I needed a new (RFA) remote function actuation module- cost $350.00- and none were available from GM until late September becuase more needed to be manufactured. The C5 corvette repair book page 6-681 states ( the receiver and transmitter are reliable components and not likely to cause the malfunction). My question is this - Is this a common problem or do I have an unusual failure or is this faulty troubleshooting? I am currently waiting on the RFA module.

Confused corvette owner would appreciate anyones input on this.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Default RE: remote function actuation module (RAF)

Do you have one of those C5s that will lock and unlock the door by just having the key fob in your pocket?

I found some info about this feature (that many of us do not have) here:

http://www.safepic.com/corvette/dash...ation%20System

Section 2 contains this info: http://www.safepic.com/corvette/dash2.htm#Remote Function Actuation System

By the way, were you able to pull any codes? I believe B0-RFA indicates a malfunctioning remote function actuator.

I have never heard of one failing in all the years I have been perusing the forums.

Dave

Old 09-13-2006, 10:27 AM

Dave I have a conventional remote with four buttons. Thank you for your input. The abbreviation should have been RFA instead of RAF (remote function acutuation module).

My corvette DCT code was BO605 ( receiver internal memory malfunction) as described on page 8-680 of the 2000 corvette factory repair manual. I do appreciate any help your associates can give concerning the problem. I am trying to get GM Parts Dept. to tell me how many RFA modules have been changed on all C5 corvettes since 1997.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:12 AM

There seems to be precious-little info about this type of fault code. I hope you can get more info. Your last name's not "Murphy", is it? Sometimes I think mine is........

Dave

Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the logic in the module has ceased functioning. I can check my Alldata on that BCM code when I get to my shop today if I have time and see what it says.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:10 PM

NEW RFA,REMOTE FUNCTION ACTUATION MODULE, CHANGED AND KEY FOB STILL WOULD NOT WORK, TRIED NEW KEY FOB WITH NEW MODULE IN CAR, BINGO, CAR IS PERFECT, LOTS OF TIME AND MONEY FOR KEY FOB TO FIX IT, WE TRIED NEW KEY FOB ON OLD MODULE AND DOORS,TRUNK WOULD NOT WORK, MY SON HAS NEW BABY AND MUST SELL HIS 1993, C4, 40TH ANNIVS. VET WOULD ANY ONE TELL HOW ME HOW TO SELL IT,

Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM

Well, at least you finally have the right combination! Regarding selling a Corvette,
you might try any or all of these:

www.usedcorvettesforsale.com

www.corvettetraderonline.com

www.vettefinders.com

or your local paper.

Good luck.

Dave

Old 10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Default RE: remote function actuation module (RFA)

Hi Dave,
Thanks for referencing the information tool I’m working on at

http://www.safepic.com/corvette/dash2.htm .

I’m a pilot for a major airline who is working on new information technologies for the cockpit. One of them is the electronic flight bag which is a database of all the information on the aircraft delivered in 3 clicks. So it only makes sense that I try to create one for the Corvette.
I was wondering what you like about it, (I’m calling it the Intelligent Owner’s Manual,) what you would like to see improved, and what you think needs to be added. I’ll try to keep adding to it to make it a more useful reference. One thing I would like to add is shop manual references, including schematics. I am trying to do schematics for aircraft, but I want to get the basics down first before I try doing it with the corvette.

Thanks,
Ed
98 C-5
If you ain’t on the edge, your taking up too much space.