Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

79 needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Default 79 needs help!

Hello,

I just picked up a '79 that needs some TLC. I don't want to spend a fortune just figuring out what I need to do, so I thought I would tap into the forum's collective experience. Any help would be very much appreciate. Thanks!

Issues:

Tach: It seems fine in lower gears, but on the highway it is maxed out. I think this is not letting the car downshift when you go to pass or kick it in? I see circuit replacments, does that typically fix this issue?

Suspension: It seems to have a REALLY quick oversteer. Are there some common things that need to be replaced to give me more confidence in the corners?

Wipers: Work fine, but once you turn then on, they won't go off by the switch. You have to turn the car off, and then all is fine?

Front lights: Same issue as above, they come up fine, but if you drive a while with them up and then turn off the car. They stay up? If you start the car again w/ the lights off, they go down fine?

Thanks again- Greg

Old 10-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 79 needs help!

ORIGINAL: gacole2000

Hello,

I just picked up a '79 that needs some TLC. I don't want to spend a fortune just figuring out what I need to do, so I thought I would tap into the forum's collective experience. Any help would be very much appreciate. Thanks!

Suspension: It seems to have a REALLY quick oversteer. Are there some common things that need to be replaced to give me more confidence in the corners?

Thanks again- Greg
Hey Greg,
First, Wecome to CF. You made a good choice, great bunch here!

Have you tried an alinement?
You can check the steering buy leaving the front of the car on the ground or ramps. Push and pull on all steering componants. You will be able to find bad tie rod ends, etc.
Another test, put the front tires in the air, and push and pull on the tops, bottoms and sides of the front tires. You can check wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints, etc.
Hope this helps,
Dave