Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

'81 trans lockup Q.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:26 AM
Default '81 trans lockup Q.

I have an '81, which I believe has an electronical lock up trans . If I remove the engine and replace it with say, a ZZ4 or similar (with a nice Holley), do I leave the Computer Control box as-is to perform the lockup, or remove it? Curious, as 190 horse just doesn't do it for me

Thanks ,
Mark

Old 09-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: '81 trans lockup Q.

Since no one else will step into this fire...

You can remove it, but then you won't trigger a lockup at speed, and your trans will constantly be "clutching" a bit even at highway speeds. This can cause faster wear of the moving parts and added heat throughout the trans. Google for TH350c (the electronic lockup model number), along with interesting words like "hotrod", "engine swap", and "wiring" in various combinations. You'll find tons of info and parts you can use.

BTW, some drag racers use the TH350c with a "on/off" switch to force lockup at specified revs on the track. You'll find some of their info interesting as well.

bill.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:39 PM

Thanks. Just wondering whats the better way to go about a few extra pounds of torque and some more HP form this thing.
Certainly switching to a better flowing exhaust and a better intake may help get some more air in and out,as well as some new form of carburation.
Is the lockup of trans linked to vehicle speed, or engine parameters? Wondering if I can lose the Rochester, or if I can tweak it a bit and keep it.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 PM

Depending on your state... Lose the emissions stuff. You are right about the carb, a higher volume carb is good. decent (MSD, pertec) ignition system and coil. Shorty headers and a decent exhaust. Then maybe an intake. At that point, you are probably looking at cam/heads to get any more power.

If you are doing it yourself, carb and adapter will run you a couple hundred. Losing the emissions will cost you a couple bucks for EGR block off plate and some little pieces. An edelbrock intake is probably in the $150 range. Decent shorty headers will run $400 or so, or about $1000 for hooker headers and side pipes. Cam/heads can cost serious coin and take some real work if you decide to go that direction with any real added power.

I think the lockup is based on revs, current gear (3rd only) and throttle? I don't remember. :P

bill.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: vintagesurvivor

I have an '81, which I believe has an electronical lock up trans . If I remove the engine and replace it with say, a ZZ4 or similar (with a nice Holley), do I leave the Computer Control box as-is to perform the lockup, or remove it? Curious, as 190 horse just doesn't do it for me

Thanks ,
Mark
this is what u need

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 AM

Thanks, thats an interesting option. Not sure if I like the idea of driving arounf manually locking the torque converter though, sounds like a hassle. Worth considering if need be.
I will look intot he Carb, intake, and exhaust first , as they are easy options.
I DO like the chrome Hooker sidepipes with headers, and I would be willing to bet that add a few horses. That combined with about a 600 CFM Holley and TOrquer intake might get me a bigger smile.

The previous owner diconnected the smog pump and removed the hoses from the exhaust manifolds, so no doubt the headers would be easy to add.

Thanks for the help!
Mark