Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

anti theft concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Default anti theft concerns

Hi,
I am new here and I am hopefully buying my first vette on saturday. it's a 1981. any pitfalls to watch out for, and I am concerned about it being stolen or the t-tops stolen etc. any suggestions to keep the bad guy's at bay? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Default RE: anti theft concerns

Several options for you on the t-tops. Of course, if someone *really* wants it bad enough... it is gone. Here is a quick item from Ecklers:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1620

As for the car being stolen, you can have LoJack, ignition killer kits, alarms, and all sorts of goodies installed if you'd like. For me, a battery disconnect switch keeps me from worrying about it. I even leave my tops off most of the time. If someone takes the time to find the battery box, and re-connect the battery circuit, then jack the column and start it... I have insurance. They are more likely to jack the column, turn the key, and then give up and move on. Most crooks won't spend the time trying to "fix" a car that doesn't start right away.

bill.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 PM

thanks for the input- do you have any suggestions on what to look closely at when I check out the 1981 on saturday?

Old 09-09-2006, 01:15 AM

The biggie issues... frame rot, engine compression and general condition (leaks, drips, etc.). Look for signs of aged and abused flexible parts, bushings and the like just to see how well it was maintained over time. Good places to look include belts and hoses, bushings on the rear suspension (visible through the wheel well), front suspension (visible under the hood outside the front corners of the engine). One or two negative points is OK in my book. If the car shows general neglect (all the bushings look old and cracked, all the hoses look dry and cracked, leaks around the thermostat neck, rusty parts in the flip up headlights, missing nuts and bolts, random disconnected wires and hoses, etc.), I usually get very wary that the previous owner was a "gas and go" driver who didn't maintain it very well. Of course, for the right price, putting a car back into shape can be fun too.

Most cars that are "enjoyed" rather than "looked at alot" will have some wear and a couple little "projects" waiting for attention... but C3's can reeeeeally pile up those "projects" if an owner doesn't look after the car.

Just my $.02

Good luck!!

bill.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 AM

thanks for the input.

the car is an hour away, we leave in the morning. I spoke to the gentleman today. he is 60 years old and the 3rd owner. 1st he said a go go dancer owned it, then his neighbor bought it for the mrs. and apparently she past away and her mother offered it to this gentleman. he seemed really concerned that i would be upset that the carpet is faded and hoped that wouldn't stop me from coming to look at the car. I guess he could be giving me the columbo act...but I just don't think so. he did say it had a power steering leak but not the pump. he said at the canister?? sounds good so far.... the pics I have seen look great , he tells me it is a garage kept car. it just passed NJ inspection( 2 yr sticker yeah!!!!) i am taking a small hammer to tap for rusty frame. I was told ...NEW TIRES,NEW EXHAUST(we will see how much of it), NEW REAR AXLES, NEW BATTERY, NEW ALTENATOR,NEW MASTER CYL., NEW BRAKES, NEW STARTER.( at this point I am kind of hoping the head lights go up or down slow so ther is something I can tinker with.) I'll let you know how I made out. If I end up buying it , I will post pics once i figure out how to post pics

Thanks again.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 09-09-2006, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: squad272

Hi,
I am new here and I am hopefully buying my first vette on saturday. it's a 1981. any pitfalls to watch out for, and I am concerned about it being stolen or the t-tops stolen etc. any suggestions to keep the bad guy's at bay? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DONT WORRY EVERY BODY ON THIS SITE WORRIES IF WHEN THEY COME BACK OUT SIDE FROM WHAT EVER THEY WERE DOING THAT THERE VETTE IS STILL THERE. I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE..I HATE TO LEVEING MY CAR ANY WERE[8D]

Old 09-09-2006, 03:08 PM

WOW!!! A LESSON LEARNED!!!!
[sm=boosign.gif]
The car was ok. I guess? The leak was real bad,anti freeze leaking also, parking brake didn't work, New parts-- meant 3 yrs ago, a so so repaint, a/c did not work, power or manual locks did not work, some wiring issues i found on a repair order I found in the car. we came to an agreement of $8750 and when I checked the vin and title for the car it said 154,000 miles, not the 67000 miles the guy had in his ad and he tried to tell me title was wrong and I could have motor vehicles fix it,( yea right..) [sm=bustedsign.gif]Its a good thng I am not a complete moron or I would have gotten screwed.[sm=icon_beat.gif] The search continues, maybe I need to look at a newer year?? Thanks for the help an I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Old 09-09-2006, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: squad272

WOW!!! A LESSON LEARNED!!!!
[sm=boosign.gif]
The car was ok. I guess? The leak was real bad,anti freeze leaking also, parking brake didn't work, New parts-- meant 3 yrs ago, a so so repaint, a/c did not work, power or manual locks did not work, some wiring issues i found on a repair order I found in the car. we came to an agreement of $8750 and when I checked the vin and title for the car it said 154,000 miles, not the 67000 miles the guy had in his ad and he tried to tell me title was wrong and I could have motor vehicles fix it,( yea right..) [sm=bustedsign.gif]Its a good thng I am not a complete moron or I would have gotten screwed.[sm=icon_beat.gif] The search continues, maybe I need to look at a newer year?? Thanks for the help an I'll keep you posted.

Tom
GOOD LUCK SERCHING.. YOU WILL FIND ONE..MAKE SHURE YOU FIND ONE THAT DOES NOT NEED A LOT OF STUFF.. THAT LITTLE STUFF ADD UP IN $$$$$$. trust me i know.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:25 AM
pg

Dear Squad272, welcome to the websight. Sorry you had a bad experence on the first Vette you looked at, at least you were smart enough to pass on it. A C-3 is a great car, you can't imagine the fun you will have untill you own one. Most C3's will cost 5 to 10k and then you will put in 5 to 10k more to get it the way you want it. Lets talk about some of the problems you mentioned, anti freeze leak- a loose clamp, a bad rad or heater hose, a water pump or a head gasket?Does it leak from the rad core? Try to pinpoint the problem. The parking brake- does the ratchet ( the lever ) work? If so are the cables broken or just out of adjustment? Are the shoes on the emergency brake worn out? Power door locks -loose wires or are there biger problems? Wireing issues? Are there a lot of loose wires in the engine compartment? New parts three years old- like what? Battery, altinator, front bushing, front bearings rear bushings. What about the ball joints and tie rods and other steering parts, any receipts to show the parts were replaced and when? How old is the last alignment? WRWALKE brings up some good points, excessive frame rot, you'll soon need a new rad support bracket, but look where the trailing arms connect to the frame, thats another problem. Other things- Corvettes have a large door, youll paobly beed new buishings, than new weather stripping than youll have to realign the windows so that thay go up and down properly. Seats and carpet- there 20 plus years old they will have to be replaced. How to restore & modify your corvette by Richard newton< Mbi books (www.motorbooks .com) mihgh help. Good luck on your search, Petes74ttop@aol.com

Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 PM

You got to be kiddy I wouldn't gave him 1500.00 from the sound of that . Just go to show even old men screw you over. I have a 79 that has been restored and I test drove a friends new c-6 and fell in love went to the dearler and got offer alot for my car on trade in but decide to keep my car. But Bought a used 2003 Zo6 low miles and i love it , the new vettes are real sweet fron 2001 and up. I'm about to get rid of my old one cause I never drive it any more.