Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: building a radical 454

O. K. George, here's the skinny on my 454, brought it home today.

comp 9.5:1......

Cam lift- int=.3027 ex=.3027
Valve lift- int=.515 ex= .515
Adv. dur. int=272 ex= 272

Pistons, .30 over w/6.135" rods
skirt size 4.27825 +/- 0.00025

Machine shop charge $420.00, Parts $620.00, total $1040.00

Oval port heads. stock iron int. man.

I was told, 400+ hp w/650 cfm carb.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Dave, Thanks for the info. That was quick. drive it yet? how's it feel? wicked I bet. how about some pictures? we need to do a forum meet some where in the middle of the country some time next summer. I think it would be great to meet everyone in person. like our own little car show and bar-b-que.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

George,
The 454 is sittin' in the container. Hopefully, will get the 350 pulled this week.
I took some pics and will post them as soon as I get them on disc.
I'm goin' back through the forums and printing out all the info everyone has givin' me.
THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

oh, I thought you had it in the Starship. printing out the post?....sounds like a great idea. Hope you and your family and anyone else here has a great thanksgiveing. long weekend.....engine swap?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

BTW George,
A forum car show and picnic sounds great! It'd be way cool if we could pull it off.
I won't get the engines swapped right away, lots of prep work, don't cha know!
I'll keep ya updated as things move along.
You and your's, have a Great Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Scotty, The 65 Galaxy would be the best bet in my opinion. it is completely original and has everything it came with but the tranny. no major rust or body damage that I can find. it has been setting out behind my barn for the past year and a half so that may have changed but still would not be much. the 4 door I have was for parts because the guy told me the frame on the two door needed repairs and the frame on the four door is good and will fit. The galaxy is in better shape than the fairlane and more rare with the original bucket seat interrior and factory 390 and 4 speed. I saved them from the crusher. the 390 has never been touch so you can rebuild it the way you want. Again, I would really like to keep them but I don't know when I would get to restoreing them and I would like them to not go to waist. I hate seeing great old muscle cars rotting away or beeing crushed. They'll be here if you decide your interested. I can send you some pictures if you like. Just let me know and I'll pull it out. cheers
George! Yer killin' me here, dude!!!! Man, you've got no idea how bad I'd love to, but just can't.....

PS: I know what you meen about the wife....with the now 17 vehichles (11clasic muscle cars ) I have here my wife is livivd. I guess I'm obsessed, or maybe posessed.
SAME boat here!! Well, not 17 vehicles, but yeh! It's gotten so bad that my wife will smack me when we're drivin' and I spin my head to just see something interesting. The girl knows her man's weak spots.

Dave, ya brung the nasty bit home!! WOOOOOOT! Cannot wait for pictures and stories and such. Starship, indeed! Prepare for WARP 11, Zulu!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Scotty, Please don't mistake the offer as being pushy. Just trying to be nice. I'm sorry if I caused you trouble. I really don't want to part with any of them but I'm sure you would give it a good home. and I am worried about them deterriorating before I can get to them. I'll stop I promise. Cheers

Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 PM

Scotty, Please don't mistake the offer as being pushy. Just trying to be nice. I'm sorry if I caused you trouble. I really don't want to part with any of them but I'm sure you would give it a good home. and I am worried about them deterriorating before I can get to them. I'll stop I promise. Cheers
Oh Gosh, George, I didn't mean to sound that way at all, my friend. I apologize profusely if I came across as such... no such thing at all, my good friend. It's gnawin' at me, bro. I really, honest-to-God, wish things were different right now, 'cause I'd do it; in a "heartbeat"!!

We have a grandson coming in a couple weeks, and our C4 needs some stuff done to it. So, it's just a matter of "being tight" right now, cash-wise.

Your super kind words and offer have really opened my heart and mind the last coupe of days, George. I have such good memories of cruising in that Galaxy, it used to pull the front wheels right off the ground at launch. We warmed over the 390 a bit, and it made a huge difference. Mine had an auto; so the thought of getting one with a 4 stick is... tempting isn't the word.... *laughs*...

As things stand today, I've simply got no cash for a new project, and if we did, no where to put it right now. If it tweren't for those 2 minor things, the next sound you hear would be me bangin' on yer front door!

I am going to see what the New Year brings us, and we'll review this at that time.

Many, MANY thanks for your kindness George. It sincerely means the world to me. Yer one of the best people I know, my friend.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Scotty, No need to appologize Brotha from anotha motha. like I said, I just didn't want to come off as pushy. Hard to tell tone in a post,LOL[sm=hiya.gif]they're here when your ready. sent another PM with some pic's. cheers

Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Prepare for WARP 11, Zulu!
Gimme all ya can, Scotty! Double up on the Dylithium Crystals if ya have to!

Quick Reply: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)