Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: building a radical 454

My Bass player has one of those Rincolns sittin in his back yard. He's talkin' bout just takein' it to the scrap yard. I'd love to at least ****** the engine before it goes!
Bad A$$ Tomato, Dude!

Old 11-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Scrap yard???? is he a communist? atleast take the drive train out. A big block is a big block is a big block. if the c6 tranny has the removeable bellhousing it will fit a big block chevy bellhousing and bolt right up with 1/2" spacer. than cut the drive shaft to length and run it to that big 9" ford rear end and go for broke. heavy duty man heavy duty. if'n you don't want the drive train...I'll take it. but please don't let him scrap it out.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Scrap yard???? is he a communist? atleast take the drive train out. A big block is a big block is a big block. if the c6 tranny has the removeable bellhousing it will fit a big block chevy bellhousing and bolt right up with 1/2" spacer. than cut the drive shaft to length and run it to that big 9" ford rear end and go for broke. heavy duty man heavy duty. if'n you don't want the drive train...I'll take it. but please don't let him scrap it out.
It belonged to his wife before they got married, and she doesn't want to let go of it, but if she does, I'll let cha know. My container is full of Chevy right now.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:48 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooo, don't let him scrap that!! Sheesh; what is it with people?? Scrappin' perfectly good stuff that just needs a tweak of TLC and some know-how...

George is totally right; the guy's a communist. It's a plan to bring us down.

*mumbles* Crazy Russians.... scrap yards... BIG BLOCKS, if'n you can believe that.... whole lot of whackjobs out there.... PERFECTLY GOOD RODS GOIN TO DIE.... cold war remnants..... pop that guy square in the nose....

Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

I just talked to the guy with the Rincoln, if he can get his wife to let go of it, he says "Come and get it"!
20 thou miles on a rebuilt 460, front trany seal leaks, and the interior is in good shape. Needs paint. I told him to keep me in mind.....so George, if you're interested, I'll let ya know when and if it comes available.
If I took it, I'd just take the drive train and the rest could go....I don't care where!, but I don't really have any room for any more stuff, unless you want to trade for that C3 you just picked up! I'd find room for that!

Old 11-25-2006, 02:54 PM

[:@]you all are talking huge cams and stuff like that,hhmmmmmm, just remember, once you get past 490 on the duration you are going to lose tons of that most valuable thing to vettes..................VACUUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I guess you can use toothpicks to hold the lights upLOL...................Maybe you should consider an extra vac canister if you feel the need for that huge cam......Anyway, good luck how ever you decide to go.For me it will be a built smallblock all the way to 7000rpm...YYYYEEEEEEEEHHA................Russ[8D]

Old 11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Russ,
Duration is 270 out of 360, the lift is .515.
I'm not sure I follow you.
Dave

Old 11-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

As for me, I still have to do some checking to see what's available and what the consequences will be. I guess I'm kinda **** about collecting info. that's why I started this post. I'm a firm believer that two or more heads are better than one. I value everyones input here and want to here from anybody that has something to say. Starship Dave just built a 454 so he's got the freshest expieriance. As well as Dave, I'd like to hear from mech259 and Lee Willis too. but all input is welcome and wanted. So let's hear from any and all folks even the girls are welcome to comment. Cheers

Old 11-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

I personally knocked on the door, so to speak, of Lee, mech259, and bill. These guys know their schmidt!
I'm a fanatic on research too, even if I don't use some info, I tuck it away in my little pea brain for future reff.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Dude, I forgot about Bill. He's not on much, also Dicky(Corvette King). I hope he is still on the upward clime as opposed to the alternative. Hope his Dad is geeting on well.

everyone is welcome to jump right in here. looking forward to hearing all opinions and sugestions.

Quick Reply: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)