Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

how to tune my engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Default how to tune my engine

i have a question about my engine, now my car runs well at all times, but seems a little more shakey then it would seem. I believe that one of the head timings is a little off and this makes the car shake. any sugestions?

Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Default RE: how to tune my engine

Shaking or vibration is usually caused by a miss. This is when a spark plug or plugs do not fire. There are many causes for this bad spark plug, bad wires, vaccum leaks and a bunch of other problems.

I would suggest that you find someone who knows how to tune a car and have them teach you. You will need these skills if you own this car for any period of time. You will also need to get some basic tools- timing light, vacumn gauge, dwell meter. You can read about these operations online but the best place to learn is looking over someone's shoulder.

Join a car or Corvette club. It is a good place to meet people who know their way around cars.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 PM

i've got most of the basic tools except im not sure for the dwell tool i'd have to check on it, because we also have a triumph tr4a in the garage, thats being put aside for the corvette.
i have one more question about the timming light, what would be the best way to time it?

Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Timing a car is best observed first. It is difficult to explain on paper. You can search online for ignition timing to get some basic theory and information. Your car should have a label on the drivers side near the hood latch which should give you the basic settings for timing. It is also located in the owners and shop manuals.

I would suggest you get a Corvette shop manual for the year of your car the chassis service manual or the Haynes service manual are good starts. You should check out the NCRS.org site which has a great deal of Corvette information and a section where you can purchase books and manuals.

NCRS stands for National Corvette Restores Society. These are the Corvette purists who know a great deal about Corvettes and are more than willing to share their knowledge.