Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

lineing up the strut rod and half shaft

Old 03-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Default lineing up the strut rod and half shaft

how do you line the strut rod to its housing and how do you line up the half shaft to the yoke?

my thought was to lift the trailing arm up but how theres nothing to lift it up by

Old 03-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: lineing up the strut rod and half shaft

Hey whiteray,
Did ya get my PM?
My manual doesn't cover adjustable rods. The original rods had to be bent to get minor adjustments, that's why a lot of us have gone to the adjustable rods. You might have to use a combination of adjustments on the trailing arms and the rods to get an alignment to install the adjustable rods. Place everything in their original position of when you removed the stock rods, and the adjustable rods should reach.
Hope this helps Bro!

Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

The original rods should not be bent! There's an eccentric cam on the inner end for adjusting rear camber. If there isn't enuf cam to get camber in spec, then either the strut or trailing arm bushings need replacementor something is bent.

A lot of strut rods got bent by "alignment techs" because the cams were either frozen or it was easier. Probably the latter.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 73shark

The original rods should not be bent! There's an eccentric cam on the inner end for adjusting rear camber. If there isn't enuf cam to get camber in spec, then either the strut or trailing arm bushings need replacementor something is bent.

A lot of strut rods got bent by "alignment techs" because the cams were either frozen or it was easier. Probably the latter.
Very true, It's hard to find a "tech" that KNOWS how to align a Vette. [&o]

"The original rods had to be bent to get minor adjustments"
I should have explained that this is the general practice ofsome "alignment techs".
Sorry for the lack of a full explanation. My Bad! []

The adjustable rods make the job easier, and you can really fine tune the specs.
Although, it is good to use the cam adjustment to get 'er close.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Hey witeray, attach the strut to the trailing arm 1st, then either end of the half shaft, as you jack up the traling arm it will get to a point where it all lines up, the strut will be hard to get into the bracket at the differential and you may have to twist the rod in the bushings to line it up, don't tighten anything untill tou have all components in place, I used adjustable rods and I could see where it would be tough with the originals. If your rods are bent I would'nt use them.