Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Default NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Here's the deal, I dropped a new HEI distributor in my 74 today.
Everything went according to plan except when I went to start the car.
I coppied the plug wire routing from the old stock distributor before ripping things apart.
Now when I go to start it all I get is backfiring through the carb.
I am thinking I might be a tooth off and my firing order is out of wack.
Any idea welcome.

Schoon

Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM
pg
Default RE: NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Hi SCHOON, yes it sounds like you may be 1 tooth off. The procedure is in the Shop Manual on page 4-4. If you don't have that book let me no and I'll type the text.
Be back in about 1 hour, PG.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
pg

In Haynes see page 2A-10 and 5-9, PG.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:41 AM

Schoon, (If indeed this is your problem)
After you mark thereference pointon the distributor housing; You'll drop the distributor in and the inside (shaft, plate, etc.) will turn as to the angle of the teeth on the gear, so go back further than the reference point to drop it in, and it will turn as you go in and end up at that point. And don't hesitate to pull it back out and do it again to ensure you've got it right. Sometimes it takes going in and back out afew times with it to get it right and feel good about it. After messing with it for 5 to ten minutes, you'll "feel it" and become familiar with it. (That's how it works for me. I have to feel like "part of it.") Next time you have to remove and reinstall a distributor, you'll have the feel and know-how, like a part of you.
Yes,ign. wires go in firing order as to cylinder numbers. And with the backfire coming through the carb, the fire is coming "AHEAD of time"when the intake valve is still open.Move ahead a tooth.
Hope I hit on thepart of the installationyou're having trouble with. Post any more questions you need to. Hope I'm not insulting you by going over the basics, that's not my intension what-so-ever.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 AM
pg

Hi Texas Jim, that is good advice, just one more thing to ad, after you move the distributor one tooth it may be about 1/4 inch from being flush, that's because the oil pump shaft has to line up with bottom of the distributor shaft, just turn the crank or bump the starter and it will fall into place. PG.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 AM

This is the first time I dropped in a distributor since the sixties so I am willing to listen to all.
I read the Haynes manual per PG's note and it did the trick.
It said almost to the tee what Texas Jim reffered to.

I can not believe the difference in performance since I switched to HEI.
I am now able to lower my idol by 300rpms, smoke the tires in first three gears and experience NO bucking at all when driving in forth gear.
Foe a $118 dollars and a couple of gray hairs it was worth it.

Schoon

Old 08-23-2008, 02:18 PM

For sure. I use (have an assortment from over the years) an extra oil pump rod that I fasten into a socket w/ teflon tape and using an extension (all 1/4" drive), I insert the rod into the pump and turn it slightly to line it up. I do realize NOW that this would have someone in a mess w/ the pump needing to be turned alittle foreward or rearward. I'm taking that for granted-my bad. All the years I've been turning wrenches, everything has become relevant, and all "one." This is what I mean by being "part of it."
I'm super glad that Schoon is out burning up the road. Just don't let "Nab Jones" catch you. (If he "Nabs" you, you'll be "Jonesin' .") LOL An Ohio saying I heard years ago in one of the "better" -NOT(much fun and where the cops didn't bother to roll) neighborhoods I lived in when I rode motorcycles on a regular basis.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 AM

Not like the good old days when there was a race at almost every traffic light.
Now there is two much traffic and to many cops.

I only spin them on back roads and maybe wind it up a little at a light to teach a rice burner a lesson.

Schoon