Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

looking for stereo advice. please help :)

Old 07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Default looking for stereo advice. please help :)

Ok I have a 91 vette (not LT1) with the infamous bose radio. I am getting the blown amp crackeling and the radio does not turn off all the way. (I heard that was from the CDM unit.) Well anyways, to make a long story short....should I just replace the deck and all the speakers in the car? I figure it will be ALOT less time and money involed, BUT is it as easy as it sounds?.....ie.....will I have to run all new wiring or can I use the existing wiring harness but without using the amps? Pretty much like a ordinary conventional system. I just am wondering if everything is tied in to each other meaning if I dont use the stock bose radio....will a differant radio work with different speakers? thanks so much for the help!!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
cwb
Default RE: looking for stereo advice. please help :)

Not sure what you mean there green, by it won't turn off "all the way", but you might have one good bose speaker left. That would surely make gettin' the cooked one fixed the better idea.

And as noisy as c4's are, bose with the ambient noise cancelling is the better way.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:46 PM

I just installed a new stereo system in my car. 4 infinity speakers and a kenwood deck. I used exsisting wireing. i did everything myself. 6x9's in back and 6 1/2 in front. you'll probably have to build some mounts too. it sounds so much better now!!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:03 PM

I just tood my 86 in to a sound shop. 250 to install a new pioneer unit and wiring. Love the sound but i'm getting a whine from the alternator through the speakers. In the old days we would install resistor spark plugs to fix that. Would that be the fix here?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Hello,
Do you have the Delco / Bose system? If so, did they interface your Pioneer to it or take the Delco / Bose system out?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:29 PM

Its a Delco/Bose. The head unit is now pioneer and the speakers are oem. I believe they interfaced the system although they charged me extra bc it had to be rewired.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 PM

It sounds like they (The stereo shop) connected your Pioneer head unit to the Delco / Bose system. This is O.K., if done properly. There are adapters made to interface standard head units with the Delco / Bose system. The stereo shop may have tried to "cheat" and make their own adapter, which is why you have Alternator Whine / Engine Noise.

I have a '92 convertible w/ Delco / Bose and I removed the factory head unit, but wanted to keep the Delco / Bosespeakers and amps because they were in good shape. I made my own adapter to interface with theBose system and it sounds pretty good - no noiseor anything, dead quiet.

If the stereo shop bypassed all the Bose wiring and wired your speakers directly to the head unit you would not have any noise (more than likely). Very few vehicles have engine noise when an amp is not involved. It happens, but it is rare unless the head unit is very, very cheap.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:54 PM

first thanks for the info. they probably did try to cheat the system. Second, what did you use to make the adapter. i may try to do that myself.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM

Hello,
I used 4 (four) transformers out of an LOC (Line Output Converter), which is a device that converts your speaker outputs to RCA line level outputs. Most of the transformers in the better units have good frequency response and will not limit your low frequencies (bass)or high frequencies (highs). You will also need 8 capacitors rated at: 220uF, 16VDC, non-polar.

I will draw out aschematic and post it tomorrow.

CG