Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

stroker advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Default stroker advice please?

I was wonderin what the best type of stroker kit for the money was for my 94... i looked on jegs and summit and they dont have any kits for the LT based motors, the only one i saw was a 383 kit for a LS-1. Also, im tryin to get my car above 500hp with bolt ons and a stroker kit. I want to keep it N/A for the time being. If anyone has any suggestions or previous experience that they think might be helpful, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Default RE: stroker advice please?

OK...Speed costs money...How fast do you want to go?

500 HP on a 383 LT-1 is possible but it's going to costly and streetabilty is going to suffer. If you are really set on 500HP you need good parts. They are as follows:

JE FORGED FLAT TOP PISTONS ULTRA-LITE @ 336 GRAMS
COMP. RATIO: 58cc =11.2-1, 64cc =10.3-1, 76cc =9.1-1
EAGLE 4340 FORGED STEEL - 3.750 STROKE
CROWER SPORTSMAN 4340 FORGED RODS - 6.000 LONG
JE PLASMA MOLY RINGS
CLEVITE 77 H-SERIES BEARINGS
CRANKSHAFT HUB - BROACHED TO FIT FORGED CRANK
BLUEPRINT HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP
COMP. CAMS EXTREME HYD. ROLLER CAM
ROLLER TAPPETS
GRANITELI WIRE SET
FEL-PRO COMPLETE OVERHAUL GASKET SET
EDELBROCK 58mm TWIN THROTTLE BODY
FLUIDAMPR #716910 DAMPER
FEL-PRO RACE HEAD GASKETS # 1074
FEL-PRO RACE INTAKE GASKETS #1284
FEL-PRO EXH. GASKET # 1470
HOLLEY EFI REGULATOR
HOOKER HEADERS
JET STAGE 1 POWER CONTROL MODULE
MANLEY .080 WALL 4130 PUSH RODS
AFR 210cc LT4 SBC RACING CYLINDER HEAD W/HYDRA REV KIT
ACCEL 32-36 LB INJECTORS
TPIS MINI-RAM INTAKE MANIFOLD

I suggest a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with their clutch parts or higher stall converter if you have an automatic and I suggest a new water pump and Opti-spark while you're at it.

As you can see...this isn't going to be cheap. Keep the compression down with dished pistons and larger cc combustion chambers and gap your rings for nitrous. You'll have a little more blow by with the bigger gaps but if you go to nitrous or a blower later on, you won't have to tear the engine apart again. Most failures I've seen were caused by the rings closing up.

At 500hp you'll also want to look at a modified automatic tranny, if that's what you have and also a set of heavy duty half shafts. Complete Custom Wheel can build you a set of 16 inch wheels that will work with the rear brakes and get you a little more side wall for the rear tires because the 40 series just doesn't give enough and won't hook.

Best of luck!

Old 01-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Generally, it proves more economical in the long run to buy an entire short block stroker kit. Numerous companies make them in both LS1 and LT1. Look in a HOT ROD and GM High Performance magazine at all the ads from engine builders. These guys buy the parts art prices you can't and have the equiment and knowledge to build the engine right. I would do some reserach there, make a few calls.

500 HP will not be that difficult but it comes at a price of more than just money: you will not get that much in a car that is totally well behaved on the street -- it will not idle well, might not have good manners in traffic and at low speeds, etc.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:26 PM

Thank you for the advice. Lets say i had around $6000 to spend, what should i spend it on to get the ball rolling. I realize this probably wont get my all the way to my goal but its not going to be a start to finish project in 2 weeks. thanks

Old 01-25-2006, 02:17 AM

Me again....

For $6K...(and I'm very serious here)... Go the short block route if you or you have a good mechanic, that can complete the assembly when you get more money saved up. Sorry, but thats the cold hard truth. A balanced rotating assembly...(and I went as cheap as I could on the parts I listed above) is $2K-3K and you need quality parts to support 500HP. You'll have around $5K-6K in a complete short block built to your specs. The heads I listed are going to be around $2K bare and another $1500-2000 to finish them off to support your 500HP. Spend the $5999 on getting the best short block you can find and the other $1 for a garbage bag to cover it up with while it sits on the engine stand waiting for more parts. I find it is far better to save your money and do it all in one step as I know too many guys that get half way through a build and something comes up and they end up selling their project for pennies on the dollar. As they said in the movie "Stripes"....Dats the facts Jack!

Now, If you stock motor is in decent shape, you can put it on the bottle for about $2000. That will get you new pistons and rings, a nitrous cam, NOS-NOSzel fuel injection system, Nitrous controller, Edelbrock twin 58mm throttle body, TPIS mini ram intake and a nitrous program for the computer. The only problem with squeeze is that it is very addictive and the bottles seem to get smaller and smaller the more you use it....LOL.

The way I went with mine was to go with an ATI Procharger intercooled supercharger. You can run in on your stock motor, provided you get a good tune and add the engine parts as you get more money. Then I would add the headers and exhaust, then the throttle body and intake, then the cam and then good heads. While thats going on...start saving for that short block. TPIS is a very good place to deal with. Check out their site and give Myron or Chris a call. Tell them that Ted sent you and remind them that I'm the guy that trailered his vette out to them from Pittsburgh to have them tune it...(They'll remember me). AND...order their "LT-1 Hints" book....it's very good reading.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:33 AM

The eagle crank I used building a 540 had to be turned since the quality control is not the best. You should be able to do it for 6 grand. I did a 540 for 10 grand with a new 502 block and merlin heads for a boat.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 PM

You can always do what I did, Buy GM performance ZZ383, 425 hp, throw it in and install the L98 intake and fuel injection system with 30 pound injectors. It's a direct install and makes the car run like always should have.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:47 PM

I cant find the zz383 on jegs, summit, ecklers, or ebay... but i know ive seen it, i jsut cant remember where. Also, how much would you trust the 383 short blocks on ebay that are sellin for around 1900? ive seen quite a few that look pretty good and they are free shipping and a few other perks, but my friends keep telling me that they wouldnt trust anything off of ebay.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: 94blackC4

I cant find the zz383 on jegs, summit, ecklers, or ebay... but i know ive seen it, i jsut cant remember where. Also, how much would you trust the 383 short blocks on ebay that are sellin for around 1900? ive seen quite a few that look pretty good and they are free shipping and a few other perks, but my friends keep telling me that they wouldnt trust anything off of ebay.
check with your local GM dealer.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:09 PM

You can usually find one or more GM dealers offered GM-made crate engines at discount prices in the ads in the back of Hot Rod magazine. The ZZ383 is a damn good bargain and often costs only $5500 or so.