Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Price Inquiry: 70 BB Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Default Price Inquiry: 70 BB Vette

Found this: 70 Corvette, from what I can tell very original solid car ( although I'm no expect) Drove this beast 120 miles this morning WOW!!!

Mileage: 61K
Engine: 454 / 390
options: protecto plate, AC, PB, PS, Tilt Steering Column, and an AM/FM Stereo Auto

owner put new bushings, shocks, brakes, calipers, and adjustable torsion bars on the rear in.

Issues: AC not working (all there) not original paint 15 footer painted maroon ( Donnybrook Green) radio not orig needs carpet and no TTops

The gentleman is asking 35K. What would be fair counteroffer to make?

Strat[/align]

Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Price Inquiry: 70 BB Vette

I'd offer $20K and maybe settle on $23. Asking prices for old tattered classics are often very high compared to actual transaction prices.

The work he has done is not very expensive to do. the car will need a lot of details. The good news is you can get every part you need, the bad news is it will just be a time and nickel and dime sink for ages.

The mileage is quite low, if it's legit (don't believe it without lots of investigation and proof). One key - how much of the original exhaust system does it have? Ifmost of its left the mileagehas to be close to legit. What condition are the netal brake lines in? They do no deteriorate on the outside just sitting. If the brakes feel tight and "new" they have either been replaced (unlikely) or the car has less than 125K miles. If the brakes feel at all spongy - who knows? The radiator? Look at the accelerator and brake pedals: do they look like they have only 61K miles of use on them? etc

My price point is that last year I found a '71 BB without the missing bits or not working AC -- all there and all worked, for $23k, but it was a bit rough around the edges externally and interior (as your seems to be).

Is this a number's matching car? (original engine block withsame serial nunmber as car?) The one I found wasn't, if it has matching numbers you might justify a bit more.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 AM

Go with what Lee says. You didn't say if the numbers are matching or not. I'm guessing they might be because the price is kinda up there for a car that needs some work. According to the prices asked by Proteam... (which are way inflated btw) an all original 70 454 LS5 in excellent condition is in the 50-80k range. Those guys do love their cars... Original matching number cars are getting harder to find these days, which can make non-matching cars the next collectables. Some people see that as a problem, but I think it can be a good thing. It allows you to sometmes find a great Vette at a good price. Just don't get suckered into paying premium prices for a non-original car that needs work. Maybe get a Black Book, and if numbers are truly an important factor in your search, check the book 'Chevrolet by the Numbers 1970-75' by Alan Colvin. Good luck and I hope you find what you are after.
See ya
Wedge
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Thanks Wedge and Lee for your excellent advise. It is a # matching - but it could be a re-stamp job; I can't be certain as I'm a newbie. Frame is excellent, no T-tops he said he has some homemade ones, but couldn't find them while was there. All in all, its a strong ride, very nice but the paint change and TT makes me wonder if I should pull the trigger. I think I'll pass on this as I definintely dont have the funds or expertise.

Strat