Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Worst weekend I've had in awhile.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Default RE: Worst weekend I've had in awhile.

ORIGINAL: Rickcusaf

So the subject pretty much sums up my weekend. The **** for the window on the passenger side just came off and so did the passenger side door handle. The original control system feels like it's made of pewter. It snapped right off.
On top of that I just found out the power steering pump needs to be replaced.

Oh and while driving home, the ball joint broke free of the power steering control valve. So right now my car has no steering.

So........Blarg!

-Rick
Sorry rick didnt mean to hijack your thread!! You wanna talk about a bad weekend about 3 months after i bought my 68 vette the 468 bb with L88 aluminum heads dropped a valve guide so i thought well i`ll just pull it and pop in my fresh 327 i had lyin around till i can fix it eeeeeeeeennnt wrong answer!! after i pulled it i found that the driver side motor mount was ripped off at one time and rewelded in the wrong place??
So i tear off the steering box (found bad rag joint)and grind off the mount reweld it with a dummy motor bolted to the trans then while installing the 327 i noticed alot of movement in the trans so i crawled underneath to find the rubber part completely ripped lose from the rest so you guessed it had to remove the motor mount and reweld it a 2nd time and while replaceing the trans mount noticed the u joint in front of drive shaft was toast so replaced both , then i figured while it was all apart new flywheel clutch pressure plate through out bearing pilot bushing!
so i go to drop in my brand new pro form hei unit and the gear shaft slides right out of it into the motor??? took the cap off to find when they pressed the parts on top with the retaining clip it was crooked and bent it instead of pressing it on so i toss it on the bench and stole the one from my old work truck!, found the ground wire from frame to engine almost rotted in half so a new one of those,then while renstalling the expantion tank had the small overflow nossil snap off in my hand so had to get it rewelded (aluminum in 68`s) so i finnally fire up the 327 for break in and guess what the new thermostat sticks shut and heats it up to 240 pulled it and replaced with a high volume one!
While i was hooking up the alternator i found a wad of about 60 feet of wire from the alt stuffed up inside the fender well replaced it with all new cut to fit wire!
This all happened in like a 5 day strech so no matter how bad it gets someone can always have it worse!!! LOL hope this cheered you up a lil bit!!! Tony

Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: blknblu68

ORIGINAL: Rickcusaf

So the subject pretty much sums up my weekend. The **** for the window on the passenger side just came off and so did the passenger side door handle. The original control system feels like it's made of pewter. It snapped right off.
On top of that I just found out the power steering pump needs to be replaced.

Oh and while driving home, the ball joint broke free of the power steering control valve. So right now my car has no steering.

So........Blarg!

-Rick
Sorry rick didnt mean to hijack your thread!! You wanna talk about a bad weekend about 3 months after i bought my 68 vette the 468 bb with L88 aluminum heads dropped a valve guide so i thought well i`ll just pull it and pop in my fresh 327 i had lyin around till i can fix it eeeeeeeeennnt wrong answer!! after i pulled it i found that the driver side motor mount was ripped off at one time and rewelded in the wrong place??
So i tear off the steering box (found bad rag joint)and grind off the mount reweld it with a dummy motor bolted to the trans then while installing the 327 i noticed alot of movement in the trans so i crawled underneath to find the rubber part completely ripped lose from the rest so you guessed it had to remove the motor mount and reweld it a 2nd time and while replaceing the trans mount noticed the u joint in front of drive shaft was toast so replaced both , then i figured while it was all apart new flywheel clutch pressure plate through out bearing pilot bushing!
so i go to drop in my brand new pro form hei unit and the gear shaft slides right out of it into the motor??? took the cap off to find when they pressed the parts on top with the retaining clip it was crooked and bent it instead of pressing it on so i toss it on the bench and stole the one from my old work truck!, found the ground wire from frame to engine almost rotted in half so a new one of those,then while renstalling the expantion tank had the small overflow nossil snap off in my hand so had to get it rewelded (aluminum in 68`s) so i finnally fire up the 327 for break in and guess what the new thermostat sticks shut and heats it up to 240 pulled it and replaced with a high volume one!
While i was hooking up the alternator i found a wad of about 60 feet of wire from the alt stuffed up inside the fender well replaced it with all new cut to fit wire!
This all happened in like a 5 day strech so no matter how bad it gets someone can always have it worse!!! LOL hope this cheered you up a lil bit!!! Tony
Ouch!

I was really lucky. My local checkers had one control valve in stock.All of the hobby shops on the military bases were closed due to the holiday and luckily I was off work too, yay Air Force! So I got my tools and jacked her up. Removed the old valve and replaced it with the new one.

I found out what happend to the old valve. When I rebuilt it somehow the old spring had collapsed in on itself. Soo.... when I took the sharp turn into my apartment complex, the spring broke and the ball joint ripped itself free of the control valve. It's a good thing I was only going 5mph, because the car immedietly spun out of control and almost went into a wall.

Luckily I knew what was happening so I was able to react quickly and stop the car with the brakes, not the wall.

So, I'm only out $140 for a part I was going to replace soon anyways.

On an even brighter side I pulled 3k from one of my accounts and I'm going to put a rack and pinion set on.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Yes! The 383 is what I'll build when the 350 in my 'Vette gets tired. The pic of your car on the track is really cool. And a complete "blow-away" by better than a car length just off the line.
I first ran into the 400 small block when a guy I worked with had one in his '56 Chevy. This was 1984 summer. He claimed that it really ran and I had doubts as I wasn't familiar with the engine. He claimed that hetook a friend of mine out of the hole who also had a '56 but with a 396, which was a track car. Ofcourse the big blocks don't come off the line as well as they run on the big end. Anyway...and now the 383 is "it" when it comes to small block chevys.
And that red 4 door is great looking. Ofcourse the 2 door is more sporty, the 4 door, to me, is a cool looking body when they're low.
My "hat is off" to you guys with the Chevelles. Not only are they great looking, and the green machine a photo-proven runner, but they're a part of American muscle car history. I do realize that I may sound alittle "car-crazy," but I've always been wild about hot cars in general and was fortunate enough to be just old enough to live through and fully appreciate the American muscle car era, back in the "mechanical age."
Thanks for the memories.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Hi Rick, just curious as to why you think the power steering pump has to be replaced, you can put a new seal kit in it if it's just leaking fluid.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 PM

The pump was mounted poorly and it's wearing out.