Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Is this the "VATS" problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Default Is this the "VATS" problem.

Have a stock 1989 Coup with automatic. Its been running great the last two months with everything working. Today at lunch drove it for 15-20 miles and than ran into the post office. Tried starting it, everything on dash come on like normal but NO starter sound. Shifhted out of park to neutral and still no starter. After 1.5 - 2 hours started right up. If this is the beginning of a VATS problem, like to know if anyone has used the bypass sytems and how they work.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 PM
cwb
Default RE: Is this the "VATS" problem.

I got a key made for my '87 (with chip - $22), and it worked right away. Within days, I started having the vats problem - a couple times a month. Any time it tripped, I'd have to wait 8 minutes or so, before it re-set.

The frequency never increased in two more years that I owned that one. I don't know how well the by-pass works; I just got into the habit of getting there earlier.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Is your security light flashing? Biggest problem is the key reader built into ignition tumbler. Gets dirty, corroded and can't read right resistance of the key. Never have a problem with the key, because it has a resistor built into the key and that value will never change, but if the reader doesn't read right resistance, car won't start.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

Is your security light flashing? Biggest problem is the key reader built into ignition tumbler. Gets dirty, corroded and can't read right resistance of the key. Never have a problem with the key, because it has a resistor built into the key and that value will never change, but if the reader doesn't read right resistance, car won't start.
What's the re-set time - that it will start?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cwb

ORIGINAL: mech259

What's the re-set time - that it will start?
That info is in your owners manual.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Off the top of my head, I think it is around 10 -15 minutes, but I am not sure. I can check Monday in my service manuals at my shop.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Get the cheap key bypass like I did. It automatically reads the key because it completes teh circuit. And the alarm still goes off if its tinkered with. you can completly bypass it with the box if you want to spend a little extra $$$. Ignore your thread on the other one staugum/vroom**here** was being a ******* trying to act all smart saying your asking on two forums. Hes a loser. Put him on your ignore list so you wont be bothered by his worthless, negative, post. Goodluck!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM

OK , newbie here. Been reading your stuff for awhile.really big help. my 86 went VATS nuts, so i followed GIJoes tips, bypassed all the key reader/lock,start relay,..nothing. have ordered the ECM from pcmforless and will be here in a few days. will i need to undo any of the other stuff i have already done before i plug that bugger in?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Had this same problem on my '89 TA.The VATS is controlled by the ECM. Changing locks (PITA) will only work if the key stays the same VATS number, of which there are 15 possibilities. Disabling your VATS would be a solution. Go to a locksmith, they will test your key and be able to sell you a module to disable VATS. Remove the underdash panel on the driver side. You should easily spot a two-wire grouping, I believe yellow/orange/green and white, just to the right of the steering column (as it was on my 1989 TA). You should notice that it disconnects in the middle. Disconnect it, insert the module you got from the locksmith into the wire going towards the firewall. Voila, VATS is now disabled. The module will cost you $25 - and your car will never not start because of VATS. It actually took me longer to remove the underdash panel than it did to locate the wire and insert the module. [/align] As for the security feature of VATS being disabled, only you will know. A car thief will likely pass your car by for another, like a Camry or Honda.[/align][/align]