Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

1992 asr problem

Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Default 1992 asr problem

I have a yellow 92 with 118,000 and in fairly nice condition. A week ago I took the car to an air conditioning place to see if the tech could confirm what I thought was a vacumn leak preventing me from changing vent positions. He took the car for a test drive while I went to get some lunch (first mistake). Upon his return, both the service ASR light and service engine lights were illuminated. Of course because the faults are associated with the slip reduction, I can only assume he dicided to see "what the car was made of" so to speak. Anyhow, proving he had done something to the car would be next to impossible and besides, the car is a performance car and should be able to handle some aggressive accelaration without going haywire. So here are the symptoms; When the car is first started at the begining of the day, it runs fine for about five minutes or so and shorlty after heading down the road, the service ASR and service engine lights illuminate, the engine idle increases and the A/C shuts off and begins blowing hot air. I've check all the wires behind the dirvers seat that are associated with the ASR and cleaned all the connectors and still have the problem. I've disconnected the battery and reconected after thirty minutes or more and the promlem remains. I've used the paper clip method to get the fault codes and and there doesn't appear to be any hard faults stored in the computer. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I've only had the car two months so to say I'm dissapointed would be an underststement.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Default RE: 1992 asr problem

what was the fault code, did it have to do with ac pressure. if the ac pressure falls below a certain point the vehicle shuts down the ac resulting in an increase in rpm because the accontrol is still in the on position so the idle stays where it is at. then it throws a TC light. once the car is turned of and the pressure equalizes in the system it would appear to be somewhat ok for a couple of minutes until the ac compressure reduces the low side pressure below acceptable levels again. just a suggestion, but i would need to know what the TC's were.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Default RE: 1992 asr problem

use your cars computer to get at fault code. short a and g and turn ing on. by using rt reseyt scroll through groups till your codes appear write down and let me know what they are
Bruce Bwarnick8611 @msn.com