Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

'84 ENGINE QUIT - - - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Default '84 ENGINE QUIT - - - HELP!!!

My 1984 Vette stays in storage and I drive it once every month to 1-1/2 months. I noticed the last two winters it missed when I cranked it, but it smoothed out in 1/2 minute or less. I went to a car show in May and fueled up with premium gas at Murphy Oil/Wal-Mart in nearby town 16 miles away from home. When I got to my hometown 4-way stop, the engine died. I thought it strange since it has never done this before. It cranked and I drove it 3 miles home and it was missing terribly by then. I immediately thought it could be the premium gas since I had just fueled up about 19 miles before. I garaged it and did not crank it for two weeks. When I did, it was hard to crank and missing. I first put a can of fuel treatment thinking I had water in gas. This did not help, so I changed out the fuel filter to no avail. Then I changed spark plugs to no avail. A friend thought my catalytic converter must be stopped up. Since I needed tail pipes I changed these out to no avail. I then put in another can of fuel treatment and planned to drive it about 20 miles. The engine died after about 18 miles of low power up hills and 1/2 the instant gas mileage on display and finally died. I ran the battery down trying to crank it and had to tow it home. After charging battery, it still will not crank. I am getting fuel to the injectors and fuel pressure is OK according to the shop that changed out catalytic converter. I next syphoned all the fuel I could from gas tank and put in two gallons of fresh fuel. It still will not crank and my fuel gauge shows almost half a tank after my removal of 13 gallons of gas. I think I have a 20 gallon tank. I am thinking the on board computer is not right after the syphone. Did I syphone all my old gas out? Any ideas from anyone where to go from here?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Default RE: '84 ENGINE QUIT - - - HELP!!!

I can't talk long right now, I think you need to look in the ignition system, sounds like it's not getting spark.