Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

86 C4 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Default 86 C4 wont start

The last Corvette I owned was a 67 coupe. I sold it 20 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I am retired now and have some time on my hands so I decided to buy a project car. It is a 86 C4, and has been sitting for several years. I put a battery in it and tried to start it. The problem is that when I turn the key to the on position , nothing on the gauge cluster lights up.The wipers work, the AC blower works, check engine light works. Headlights do not come on. When I turn the key to start position nothing happens, and the check engine light and door ajar lights go off. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Default Suggestions

First thing you need to do is get a FSM and then start checking all the fuses and relays to find out what works and what doesn't. The fact that the dash and some of the items in the car do not work indicates a potential electric short or fuse(s) being out.
Some of the things to check on the start issue depends on whether it's an automatic or manual transmission.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 AM

sounds like the starter or the computer not responding. hit the starter with a hammer a few times not to hard and see if that helps. just hope its not electrical cause that can be a pain to figure out

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Default 86 Vette won't start update

First of all I want to thank everyone for the replies and advice.
I just received my FSM today, and was surprised at how big it is. WOW!
I was sitting in the car yesterday and cycling with the ignition switch (It felt a little stiff and I thought this would loosen it up some.) When I turned the key to "on", the warning panel seemed to be working. Also the Blower motor. turn signals, and wipers worked , but nothing else. I had turned the key to the start position several times when surprisingly, the starter engaged and began cranking the engine. Feeling like I was on a roll, I held the key on start for about 20 seconds, and the engine began to sputter and finally started up. I was amazed that after 8+ years of sitting that the car would start up this easily. Since then, I can start it up whenever I want to. The engine sounds strong and tight.
After the engine was running, I noticed that the water pump is leaking, but that is an easy fix.
I have a couple of easy questions: Are the headlight motors vacuum or electric? And where is the main fuse panel located.
I am only asking because the FSM is huge, and I thought it would be a little easier to get a couple of quick answers rather then tackle the FSM.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 AM
Default Congrats

The headlights are electric vs vacuum as in previous models.
Sorry I don't remember the fuses and don't have my manual at the moment but there is a section in the FSM as I remember that lists the fuses along with what each controls.
Depending on your issue with your lights, you should be able to disconnect a connectors and use a volt meter and confirm current is present when you pull out the light switch. If you don't have juice, check the fuse first and the relay 2d.
Good luck.