Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Automatic or Manual Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Default RE: Automatic or Manual Trans?

It's easy to take our lifestyle (USA) for granted. Last year when I was looking for a C4 to buy, I searched by body style (convertible) transmission (6-speed) and had hundreds to choose from just in the Pacific Northwest (I live in Oregon). Blade83 is talking about only having a few cars in the whole country!! Wow!!

My first vette was a '67 and had an auto trans (2-speed) and I swore never to get another auto trans vette..I know the new autos are worlds apart from the old powerglide, but I still got a 6-speed.

I'm lucky to have a comute that does not have stop-n-go freeway driving but is split between city and country driving (about 15-17 miles one-way) I drive the vette most days it doesn't rain and the L-98's torque makes it pretty easy in the city.

An auto or stick, it's still a vette and it's the best fun car going....or get one of each!!

C4ever

[IMG]local://upfiles/4063/7DD705D57CCB461CBC1D739CF71B3128.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 AM

Hehe well you can appreciate what you have its a very good chance that when I come to get mine, I'll have to travel interstate for it, just for there to be one to look at.. if there isn't its not a matter of choice, it might be months or years before the right one comes up for sale [8D]so criteria for me is..

1. Must start and I know im being pickier than I can afford to be but I'd like it to drive straight as well
2. Must be a Corvette C4

pretty much anything else and I wont find it [8D]I always have a chuckle when I read through the "what to look out for when purchasing" posts.. really wish I could afford to be that picky [:@]

Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Hey Blade83, I really feel bad for you, being a Corvette lover in a country with almost no Corvettes.....reminds me a little of when I was in Saudi and wanted a cold beer or a shot of Jack...no go!!

I wish you the best of luck in your quest for a C4....Once you find one I think you will be more than satisfied with it

Good Luck....too bad about the RHD conversion requirement....

Old 08-24-2007, 10:55 PM

Hehe thanks 9TBlk, it does make things a bit harder, but dont feel too bad, at least im lucky enough to be in a situation where I can afford one, A count reveals there are currently 30 C4's for sale in the country ranging from $20,000 to $75,000, the low numbers means they are hard to find and the RHD thing, kinda keeps them from entering the country on a regular basis, But what it does do is make the Corvette as rare as an Itallian exotic, We hear about them, we just never see them.. Being the owner of such a cool ride is an amazing feeling, you think your Corvette's turn heads there, try driving one here, people twist their head off to catch a2nd glimpse because they know it will be years before they see another (If they even know what they are looking at)[8D]

To relate this back to the OP thread (lol sorry) I dont know if anyone buys a Vette based on fuel economy, sure its nice to have it, but at the end of the day you have to live with it, So feel lucky that you have that choice, go out there and buy the transmission you will love the most