Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

crate engine

Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Default crate engine

I don't need a new motor for my 85 yet but just doing research on crate engines. Ya see, I live in California and this car has to smog. I wanted to get a ZZ4 but it says that these are not suitable for smog. It says that they are suitable for 75 and earlier models. What crate motor do I use and does it have the same or more hp than my stock 230 hp motor that is in the car now? Are there differences between a standard "truck" 350 and my vette 350? I would like more hp but will gladly go with the same hp that the car has. Does anyone have pointers or links? I have never had to buy a crate replacement motor for anything and don't want to buy the wrong thing. I would also like it to be a GM manufactured motor and not an aftermarket like Edlebrock. Thanks for any help.

Clayton

Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Default RE: crate engine

Some pointers I have...
If you are going to go with a crate engine for sure make sure it is making more ponies than you are now. I would look for something putting out close to 400 hp if not more.
-
as for the smog issue. I don't think it has as much to do with the engine itself rather than what you put on it. I would opt for something fuel injected and not carbed and you will probably have to install a smog pump on the thing as well.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:16 PM

Thank You Danase. Wow, 400 or more hp? I would be happy with 300 or 350. I was told by a friend to go up to this place in Banning California and buy a crate motor. he says they have them for 1200 bucks. This to me sounds too cheap after seeing the prices of the HO motors like the ZZ4. I imagine this guy is wrong about putting this 1200 buck motor in my car. I would like some ideas on what company/motor to use. A link perhaps to the company that sells it. What have others used that have my year/era car? Like I said, I don't want to have the headache of buying the wrong engine. Thanks for the reply Danase.

Clayton

Old 01-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Danese is right that the smog issue is mostly a function of what you put in and around the engine. If you tune a carburated or fuel injected crate engine right, then follow that up with good cats, it should pass just about any inspection.

I know CA is strict, though, and I've heard some inspections are visual - the engine has to look original and correct. This should not be a problem though. One Chevy small block looks about like another. The key is to:
a) have the same type of induction as the original car -- if it had a carb, have a carb, if it had throttle body fuel injection, have throttle body fuel injection, if it had port fel injection, have port fuel injection. Frankly, I can't remember what the 85 vettes had. A lot of crate engines come with a carb setup but a good shop, or a lot of home mechanic work, could put whatever you need on it.
b) all the emissions control. If it had an EGR from the factory make sure it has one now. It if had an air pump make sure its there, too.
c) catalytic converters, a must.
d) if they allow headers, put them on, if not, many crate engines come with stock looking manifolds, otherwise you can shop around surplus yards for the biggest stock looking ones you can find.
By the way, I have seen crate engine disguises that raise deception to an artform, a 475 HP GM 502 crate engine in a 74 Pontiac Firdbird that looked almost perfectly stock, etc.

As to 400 HP, just about any crate engine you buy will provide more power than the one in your car now and realize going to something close to twice the orginal 230 will very likely break things (this is an old car and it wasn't designed for 400 HP).
Note that You need to subtract about 20 HP from what the crate engine is labeled to get a realistic value for what it will do compared to original factory ratings (thus a 290 Hp 350 crate engine that costs about $1750 from GMPP would actually be about 270 HP compared to your 230). The ZZ350 at 355 HP is nice, as is the ZZ383 (looks the same outside, just stroked) at 425 HP. both are about as extreme as you would want to go in daily driving.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:27 PM

thank you Mr. Willis. I have tuned port fuel injection and was going to use it on my crate motor when and if I bought one. I have a great mechanic so when I do have this done, he will make sure it looks stock and has all the stuff like pumps and egr valve in place. Danase, thank you for your input as well. I don't have to do this now, as the worst thing my motor does now is smoke a little when you first start it up. i was just looking at options. I am having the transmission rebuilt in my car right now so it would be nice to have all new front running gear but will wait till the motor gets tired. No reason for me to get over zealous huh?

Clayton

Old 01-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Just remember, there is no replacement for displacement. A 383 looks just like a 350 from the outside, but it makes 10% more torque.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:43 PM

Try JEGS for some options on crate motors. We put the 1200 dollar crate 350 in my buddies 78 coupe a few months ago. Poor bastard blew his motor up delivering the car to it's new owner. It ran better than the original L48 that was in it.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Thank you everyone. Some very useful responses. I will let you all know when I decide to do this although it could be a while because of money and the fact that I don't really need to do it yet. I have a 7 month old at home that demands most of my money right now.

Clayton