Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Default Engine won't start

Yes I know there are a ton of possibilites, but when I was under the hood I found a cable disco'd, which is never a good sign.

'85 vette, L98 This cable is "L" shaped with a rubber boot and runs froma plug next to the distributor cap and under the intake mainfold to what looks simmilar to an old bike ringer that attached to handlebars. What is and what's its purpose?
Any help on identifying this part would be greatly appreciated, cause I don't even know what to look for because the part is in such a tight space.

I'm just getting into working on my own vechicles, these forums look like a great resource for info and ideas.

~Chris

Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Default RE: Engine won't start

Hi Chris, I'm gonna take astab at this.....the way it sounds to me is....the plug beside the distributer is the EGR solenoid valve and the thing that looks similar to an old bike ringer under the plenum is the EGR valve. I wouldn't thinkit wouldcause a no start conditionif it was disconnected though. Is the plug you're talking about on the passengers side of the distributor? Does the engine turn over when you try to crank it?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM

Yes, pasenger side. I didn't think it was the EGR but after looking up some engine replacement parts, that looks identical to what is disco'd.This car gives me so much grief when I try to turn it over, I wouldn't be suprised if it didn't start for another reason. No, it doesn't try to turn over when I crank it.

The stock security sys activates at strange times, and I can't start it for 10 minutes. I got stuck at the pump driving back to town on the turnpike for almost an hour with this car becuase of the security sys. That's my goal for the winter, remove & replace the factory security and ignition.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Are you sure you're not having starter problems?? I thought the security systemon mine had the starter disabled once. Ended up having a bad starter solenoid, replaced the entire starter and haven't had a problem with cranking since.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 AM

know what you mean about being stranded, my 86 did the same.had to be towed home. Vats went south on me. great info on trouble shooting and removal of VATS is in a forum i got from here. VATSSUCKS gives you diagrams and pics with a step by step. hope you have luck before the Last step. My new ECM will be $200, but the vats system will be gone and a regular mechanical key lock cylinder and normal key will work. should be here today. will let you know.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:42 PM

I had a simular problem is the distributor behind the water pump? i had to change it three time. i went to orileys auto part and the first one didnt work put the second one on it worked for about 30 min. and quit i put the last one on and havent had a problem with it really since that, but i did change distrubitor and cap at same time and it wasnt cheap. paid about 150.00 for dist. and about 240.00 for just cap but now i have life time warranty on both,

Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Does the security light come on when trying to start the car? Dead giveaway if it is. Means, probably the key reader built into your ignition tumbler is probably going south on you. Never have seen a key go bad, most always the reader. If so, there are the bypass kits to bypass it, just need to no which one by the number (can go to a locksmith who can determine which key you have to know which bypass to get.)