Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Finished Winter Projects

Old 06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Default Finished Winter Projects

Since summer is officialy right around the corner I thought it was time to share Mods to Daves LT4. Oil leaks no more!! Pulled front cover and replaced all gaskets and seals. Whew!! New opti-spark to replace oil soaked one. New water pump,plugs and wires. Be cool radiator and big mouth air dam plus a can of forty below to keep her cool here in the high Deseret of California. Tweaked computer by PCMS for less. Bypass cags, bypass throttle body coolant, air foil, relocated iac, B & M ripper shifter, Magna flow mufflers, and last but not least a set of C6 wheels with drilled and slotted rotors. She looks and runs like she should now. After all this I discovered that I really don't like the Bose system in this car. Any great ideas for a simple replacement that won't alter Dash etc? Something xm ready that could also play IPOD Thanks for any info. Pictures soon. LT4Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/3556/93885BBEACB043A68FFD65FA23599199.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Finished Winter Projects

Sounds as though you've covered a lot of potential trouble spots for the LTx engines. I can't help you on the radio stuff. I don't even know WTF an IPOD is. It sounds like something from outer space to me.[sm=dontgetit.gif] I'm an old low-tech dumb-azz about such things. Now, when you're ready to stroke, port and cam that LT4, we'll talk....

Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM

I just had magnoflow mufflers and pipes put on my 90 Roadster yesterday. What a sweet sweet sound. I pulled up to get gas just after picking it up and some guy said to me "what the hell is under the hood" i said "an engine". Nice low yet deep sound and maybe a rumble or two while shifting he he. God I love my vette whens it's running...

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you've been busy. As for a stereo. right after I aquired my'87 I replaced the Bose head unit with a Kenwood unit. Had to purchase a dash plate kit ($15.00 at a sterio shop) to fill the gapeing hole left by the lumbering Bose unit. but alltogather it only took about 20 min. just remember if you leave the bose speakers you have to hook up the pink power wire to the antenna power lead so the amps come on with the stereo. Cheers

Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 AM

Thanks for info on stereo. YES I would like to cam stroke and port that LT4. What do you think it would cost?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: LT4Dave

Thanks for info on stereo. YES I would like to cam stroke and port that LT4. What do you think it would cost?
It depends. How much can you do yourself? The good thing is, starting with LT4 heads you've got a lot of potential w/o going aftermarket there. Even my LT1 factory head castings have been massaged to the point where they're better than a lot of the aftermarket heads are, as they come out of the box. Obviously yours have even more potential. In the hands of someone like Lloyd Elliot or Advanced induction, your heads have the potential to make more HP than any sane person needs for a street car. Your bottom end will go a long way in determining final cost. You can go all forged w/ the crank, rods and pistons for roughly $1500~. If you want it lighter, the cost climbs but the residual benefits will continue for the life of the engine in less parasitic HP loss, less stress and better overall efficiency. Same goes for the valvetrain of course. I have a lightweight rotating ***'y, good but not ultra light valvetrain and do all of my own work with these exceptions. I farmed out major machining, head porting and the ceramic heat barrier and low friction internal engine coatings. As it stands, although I've never added it to the penny, I've probably got at least $7 to 8K in my engine. That's not to say that a nice stroker can't be built for much less, it can. But I over-killed most things in general when it comes to durability. Because when I beat it hard during the occasional racing I still do, I want to know that I can still drive it home. I'm also including the external goodies here such as the Aeromotive AFPR, Holley TB, 30# FMS injectors, Meziere EWP, Canton oil pan, ATI Superdamper, etc. I'm not counting headers, flexplate and converter. This engine would easily live to 7K rpm and beyond. But with the mild cam I use, it's all done at not too much past 6,000.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM

well dave sounds like you ready for the road have fun

Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 PM

Dave, another thing if you're not comfortable building your own engine. A good long or short block engine package can be very cost effective compared to a custom build if you're paying someone else to do this part. Golen Engines gets great reviews and offer a lot of bang for the buck. Scroggins-Dickey has some popular packages too and there are many others. If you go that route, do lots of legwork, homework, etc. to see who has used what and what their experience has been.