Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

I'm kinda back.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I'm kinda back.

Thanks for the encouragement as it is moving painfully slow but it will be betther than before. I don't have access right now to my diagnoststics on the 36, but more than likely it is voltage supply problem to the burn off relay. Nothing serious, And as soon as I am able will look into it.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: mypetu39

MECH259, many of us were wondering why there were no responses to the more mature threads being posted here. Good that you posted this thread. WELCOME BACK..........While you are recuperating and the odd time being online, can you answer this question for me. My SES light has been coming on the dash panel of my 87 Vette each time I start the car. The code is "36". I have a somewhat good OBD I code reader which I use to get the "36" readout. There are four responses in the book I have which accompanied this OBD I reader:

(1) Mass Air flow sensor - Burn-off circuit problem
(2) Transmission shift problem (electronically controlled transmissions only)
(3) Direct ignition system (DIS) fault- loss of 24X signalor extra or missing pulses in electronic spark timing (EST) signal
(4) Ignition system fault - loss of High Resolution Pulse signal

Not being mechanically minded, and, further, I realize you don't know my particular 87 Vette, could you venture a guess as to which of the above four may apply to the SES light coming on. My transmission was rebuilt three years ago and runs effortlessly and excellently. I cut out the two screens from the MAF sensor five years ago and the SES light has never come on up until now. The ignition: I have had the sameBosch platinum plugs in it for the past four Summers ( I only run my Vette from May to September up here in Ontario, Canada) and have not cleaned them as I am informed that they are supposedly good for 100,000 miles. I use only Sunoco 94 fuel. Can you hazzard a guess as what could be causing the SES light to come on regularly now? Thanks, AND GET BEETER SOON - THIS FORUM NEEDS YOU !!!!!!!!!

mypetu39
I show code 36 to be the MAF.- Check connections at MAF, MAF relay and MAF Burn off relay. Check resistance of MAF relay and MAF burnoff relay with digital Ohm meter. replace if less than 18 Ohms. Possible ECM failure.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
pg

Hi and welcome back, It's good to see your smiling face again.Get well soon, PG.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 AM

Dear Mech:

Welcome back!!! We sure did miss you. By the way, thanks to your posts my 89 now runs great.

I replaced: Injectors, EGR valve, O2 sensor, found and fix a vacuum leak under the plenum from the EGR valve to the solenoid, the EGR sensor (and that took care of code 32 too) and the Throttle Body gasket was not the right one andit was badly installed with major leak.

Now I'mworking on shocks, bushings and brake lines. Next is exhaust system andU-joints.
After that I'll be ready for anew paint job and weatherstrips.

Thanks again for your valuable time and support. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery!!!

[sm=drlove.gif]

Old 06-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Welcome back and hope you have the best recovery possible!!!!!!!!!!

I too have some major surgery coming up. Kinda scared[sm=boohoo.gif]

My L5-S1 disc is hernieated out on the left side and crushed throughout the middle.

Completely TOAST...

Thus the reason I have been in-and-out for the last coupla months. Too many narcotics to intelligently respond to posts. However, I do try to read them.

Best of luck to ya bro!!!!!

David

Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mypetu39

MECH259, many of us were wondering why there were no responses to the more mature threads being posted here. Good that you posted this thread. WELCOME BACK..........While you are recuperating and the odd time being online, can you answer this question for me. My SES light has been coming on the dash panel of my 87 Vette each time I start the car. The code is "36". I have a somewhat good OBD I code reader which I use to get the "36" readout. There are four responses in the book I have which accompanied this OBD I reader:

(1) Mass Air flow sensor - Burn-off circuit problem
(2) Transmission shift problem (electronically controlled transmissions only)
(3) Direct ignition system (DIS) fault- loss of 24X signalor extra or missing pulses in electronic spark timing (EST) signal
(4) Ignition system fault - loss of High Resolution Pulse signal

Not being mechanically minded, and, further, I realize you don't know my particular 87 Vette, could you venture a guess as to which of the above four may apply to the SES light coming on. My transmission was rebuilt three years ago and runs effortlessly and excellently. I cut out the two screens from the MAF sensor five years ago and the SES light has never come on up until now. The ignition: I have had the sameBosch platinum plugs in it for the past four Summers ( I only run my Vette from May to September up here in Ontario, Canada) and have not cleaned them as I am informed that they are supposedly good for 100,000 miles. I use only Sunoco 94 fuel. Can you hazzard a guess as what could be causing the SES light to come on regularly now? Thanks, AND GET BEETER SOON - THIS FORUM NEEDS YOU !!!!!!!!!

mypetu39
I agree w/ everyone about the voltage. However, one of the old-timer 'Vette guys in my area told me that if I am VERY careful I could take a couple of Q-tips and a small amount of rubbing alcohol and clean the sensors on the MAF. Use a few wet ones for cleaning and a few dry ones for finishing.

I was surprised at how much build up was on there. It looked clean to the naked eye

Anyways, worked for my '87. Sometimes those "old-timers" have some nifty little tricks[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Either way good luck!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Welcome back,my friend.I myself hd a bit of meniscal tissue problems a few years ago,but I'm ok.Hope you have a VERY speedy recovery.I do hope you can still enjoy your Vette,though,LOL!!!! Good luck in your recovery!! Your friend,Joe.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Many thanks!!!!!!!!