Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

LED taillamp bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
cwb
Default LED taillamp bulbs...

I put in two LED twist-in bulbs into my taillights. $16 / set from Advance Zone. They looked great, especially compared to Eckler's complete set for $340. But alas, they have no brake signal/turn signal capacity. I don't see any on the web either...

Anybody heard of multi-function LED bulbs?

Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: LED taillamp bulbs...

I bought some LED tailights years ago (2002 maybe) when they were first introduced and they were "multifunction" i.e. - parking / brake / turn signal. At the time, I did not have a Corvette.

I also had installed an aftermarket cruise control and when I put in the LED tailights the cruise stopped working. After thinking about it for awhile, I discovered that by putting in the LED tailights I had disrupted the ground circuit that was provided by the OEM incandescent bulbs. (When the brake is applied, the ground is broken and the cruise would disengage)

I am not sure how the C4 cruise is configured, but the ground may go through the rear tailights. I'll have to check my service manual and see how the cruise wiringis configured.

CG

Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Curious George

I bought some LED tailights years ago (2002 maybe) when they were first introduced and they were "multifunction" i.e. - parking / brake / turn signal. At the time, I did not have a Corvette.

I also had installed an aftermarket cruise control and when I put in the LED tailights the cruise stopped working. After thinking about it for awhile, I discovered that by putting in the LED tailights I had disrupted the ground circuit that was provided by the OEM incandescent bulbs. (When the brake is applied, the ground is broken and the cruise would disengage)

I am not sure how the C4 cruise is configured, but the ground may go through the rear tailights. I'll have to check my service manual and see how the cruise wiringis configured.

CG
Thanks...

If you're on the books tonight, check to see if the tranny backup light switch has four leads, or two. Just now it's a little late to fish for wires.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM

Hello CWB,
Do you have an auto or manual transmission?

CG

Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 PM

If it is an automatic transmission, then a multifunction switch is located at the shifter, under the console, attached to the actual shifter.

If it is a manual transmission, then there is a switch located on the drivers side of the transmission. It looks like it is a single wire connector.The illustration is not that clear in the GM service manual if you can believe that. I am looking for the actual wiring diagram next.

CG

Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Curious George

Hello CWB,
Do you have an auto or manual transmission?

CG
Missed the post there CG!

I got an auto. And I found out that they're reverse lights indeed. Probably why theyweren'tcomin' on with the turn signal![sm=smiley26.gif]