Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Removing front parking lights. NOT BULBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Default Removing front parking lights. NOT BULBS

Hey all, I've searched, and looked, and googled, and Yahoo'd, but still can't find an answer. I found the answers as to how to change the bulbs, and i could have done that 100 times already. I just can't seem to get the parking light HOUSINGS out. Iwant to tint them, and also install some LED panels so that the whole backside of the light will be lit up w/ orange LEDs. Planning on about a 200 led panel per parking light. And tinting the housings.
Anyway, Is there an easier way to get these out?

I tried just removing the black headlight shroud, then i tried removing the hood stop, then i removed the headlight cover, then i went in through the bottom fender panel... SO, now i still can't get the housing out. I found a SPRING on it, and i found two tiny 7mm bolts that seem to be WAAAY too long for their own good. The light still won't come out. Am i missing something?

Anyway, love to hear some responses if y'all have any. I can't feel my fingers anymore because it's 22* outside here in Nashua NH, and the sun went down. Trying again in the morning.

PS- the car looks hilarious w/ out the headlight covers on haha.

Thanks,
~Kevin

Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Default RE: Removing front parking lights. NOT BULBS

See my post on the 11th "Front turn signals and running lights." I have not had the time to play with it yet, so don't know if that works or not. I'll be anxious to see how this turns out. If I find out I'll be sure and pass the scoop along.

Ed, Jacksonville, NC

Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 PM

Well, i figured it out.
To get the OEM housings out, you have to remove the bracket that they're attatched to. Wish i took pictures, but i forgot.

There are two screws holding the bracket to the front bumper. They screw up from the bottom. I used one hand through the brake duct hole in the bumper to lign up the socket, and my other arm through the gap in the headlight/hood area to turn the ratchet.

The screw to on the outer side of the light is tiny, like 7mm i think. ON the inside, i believe it was either a 10 or 13mm.

Once i got the housing out... i had to remove it through the bottom of the car (the fender panel).
Then, i removed the acctual housing from the bracket which is two phillips screws.

Removal took about 2 hours for both lights. Installation took about 30 mins once i was familiar with the locations of things. OH YEA< did i mention all this was done in 28 degree weather in a college dorm parking lot w/ no jack?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 AM

Kevin98C5,

I hope you have some fingers left! I know gloves were out of the quesiton. Anyway thanks for the tips. I still have not gotten to mine yet. This week end it is suppose to rain. I am sure is will not be that cold though.