Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

My 92 is dying.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Default My 92 is dying.

Hello, i am new to the forum. I have a 1992 Corvette Coupe. Only had it for about a year. Its in real good condition, but right now i have a problem and can't fix it. My courtesy lamps in the inside and on the door panels are staying on constantly. My battery keeps draining. I have a new battery and alternator because i thought that was the problem. But no. So i have done everything i can think of, but still not working. So what i have done to keep my battery from dying, is remove the fuse but the fuse is for the courtsey lamps, AC, Bose Speakers, remote antenna, so when i remove it, all of these things dont work. If i drive the car with the fuse in, and turn of the car, battery is low. I removed all the bulbs inside the car, still does not work. Even on the door that some black piece that pushes in when the door shuts, and still nothing. Basically, if i leave the fuse in, then everthing is still on even if the car is turned off. And it drains the battery. If i take out the fuse, then i can drive the car all day and not have a problem, but no music, no AC, and no reception from the antenna. If any one can help or suggest any idea maybe that i havent tried, please let me know. Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Thanks. My username is Vette92.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Default Re: Dying 92

could it be that the light switch / illumination dimmer swich is pushed up to courtesy light on position?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Do you mean that the interior lights are staying on after you shut off the car and close the doors? If so, it could be the plunger in the door. If this isn't what you mean then all I can say is that at night my door lights stay on too. If the lights are going off when the car is shut off then I would check the passenger side vanity mirror light. Mine was left on and my battery kept dying. Took me two weeks to find out this was the culprit.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 PM

If it was mine,I would look for the module that keeps the light on for awhile and unplug it. From what I read in your post it sounds like the battery is running down even while you're driving if the ctsy clock fuse is in? If that's what is happening something horrible is wrong because the alternator puts out way more than it takes to blow the fuse!
Ron

Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 AM

i have read on here that several people have had the same problem i had this problem with mine 90 L-98 . unlock the doors lights come on & should go off when you start the car. but they stayed onn for sometimes 30 minutes to several hours. i have read where most people replace the light switch & it corrects the problem. the switch is expencive 180.00 at autozone i got mine on ebay for 20 bucks total & so far i have had no problems.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 PM

what module? i have checked both plungers in the door they are working properly, i have checked all the wiring to the plungers thinking maybe something is wrong here, and the headlight switch/dimmer switch is the only other thing, not sure how to check and see if its not working, the switch functions just like it should

Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM

i have checked the plungers they are ok, my visor lights on both side do not come on as well as the glove box light. they are not coming on. they did work before, not sure if this is the problem, but now they dont work. and still cant figure out what is wrong, headlight switch functions like it should, not sure on how to check it

Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM

no its not pushed up, others have recommend on replacing the switch but it seems to function properly, but the lights just stay on no matter what, as long as i remove the fuse i am ok and my battery wont die, if i put the fuse in, lights stay on, battery dies

Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 PM

I'm not familiar enough with the '92 to know what keeps the lights on after exiting the car. From what fasteddie said,it sounds as if it's in the light switch. At least some have solved this problem by replacing the switch. Unless you can find the circuit in a schematic and positively locate it,it sounds like replacing the light switch would be your next move? Good Luck!
Ron