Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

NTSB seat belt recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Default RE: NTSB seat belt recall

I would think the fact that there is a recall going on, production will begin again on any necessary parts for the recall.

Isn't that what a recall is.. 'We're recalling your car as we found a problem we have to fix, post-sale. Thank you.'

To me that implies they are recalling AND fixing it. Are they going to call you in and say.. 'Yep.. your's is bad.. good luck with that friend ; P'

This reminds me of Seinfelds jokes about not getting his reserved rental car.

'Isn't that what a reservation is? You were supposed to 'RESERVE' a car for me?'

Non-refundable deposits? Huh? It's a fee, Damnit!

or old George Carlin.. 'Why do we have hot water heaters? Shouldn't they be called COLD water heaters?'

Old 09-18-2006, 05:28 PM

LOL I totally agree with you on that!! I agree, but don't know what else to do? Ecklers says that production has totally ceased and they have a limited number available right now... sheesh, I'd really rather spend this money on a new fuel pump right now than seat belts that are going to sit in the garage until we get around to restoring the interior properly... *shakes fist at GM*

Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

Well, folks, I heard recently there was a NTSB recall on the seat belts for our cars, with a problem with the retractor. Our car definately has this problem, so I went down to the dealership today to talk to them. They discovered our car is most certainly eligible for this fix. But. Here's the kicker; they can only find one belt, not both, because GM has discontinued manufacturing them!! I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing before! We ain't drivin' Edsels here, are we? Argh.

Anyhoo, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and if anyone has any suggestions?
Hey TS! I found a document (pdf format) from chevy that states that they HAVE to repair or replace this problem.

http://199.79.180.163/prepos/files/A...-91V143-NN.PDF

Take a look and let me know if I am reading this right

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM

My VIN falls within the range - guess I'll head over to the dealer.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

Well, folks, I heard recently there was a NTSB recall on the seat belts for our cars, with a problem with the retractor. Our car definately has this problem, so I went down to the dealership today to talk to them. They discovered our car is most certainly eligible for this fix. But. Here's the kicker; they can only find one belt, not both, because GM has discontinued manufacturing them!! I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing before! We ain't drivin' Edsels here, are we? Argh.

Anyhoo, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and if anyone has any suggestions?
Hey TS! I found a document (pdf format) from chevy that states that they HAVE to repair or replace this problem.

Dude, I might just owe you BIG TIME here. My computer is actin' up at the momento... lemme do a reboot and check into that and I'll post back here. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Superdzzz

60 pages!! Holy... well, all the good stuff is up near the front there... I think you're right, good sir!! It sure does look to me like they are legally obligated to do this repair, no matter how long it's been outstanding. There is mention in there of a place to call. I will be making those calls starting tomorrow. I'll post results for anyone else who might be going through the same thing.

Superdzzz, I think I owe you big time, bro!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 AM

did anyone that have an 84 check on this problem?

Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 PM

My question is about the fact that Eckler's has the the seat belts which are probably new old stock, so in that case is the problem actually fixed on these belts or are these the same design as the original, would be a shame to spend all that money on something that is the same as what you currently have. In this case it looks like GM would have to redesign the belts and make new ones.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:16 PM

I'm hoping to start the calls on this issue to GM late this week, or early next week... planned on doing it sooner, but got majorly sidetracked here at work. I'll definately post results.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM

UNREAL!!!! You guys are gonna love this....

Firstly, and most importantly, MANY THANKS TO Superdzzz!!!! Without that document you supplied me, this would have been MUCH more difficult.

So, this issue has me a little miffed, to say the least. It's a safety issue, there's a recall, fix the car, GM!!

I called the Customer Assistance Centre down in the States. They did a little bit of looking up, and found that the recall is in effect, and still valid for my car. They, however, needed me to talk to the Canadian arm of Customer Assistance, so they passed me through.

I got a REAL NICE lady down there on the phone... super friendly, super helpful. She did some lookin' into it, and said "Yes, your car is elligible for the recall, and I don't understand why you are having issues with your local dealership. Go to the other local dealership in your area and try again. If they won't help, call us back, and we'll talk to them directly to sort this out. I agree, this shouldn't be a problem, they will fix it."

So, anyways, the hunt continues; I will keep everyone posted. If, by chance, you go to your local dealership and they give you a hassle, call the Customer Assistance Centre for further help.