Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

slipping tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Default slipping tranny?

when travellig at normal excelleration,right around 65km-70km (canadein lol) it feels like there is a hesatation before shiffting into drive(auto trans).but if you are excellerating fairly fast you don,t notice it .Just woundering if any one else has come across the same problem

Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Default RE: slipping tranny?

Yep. TWO TIMES SO FAR!!! Im teling you now to save you alot of headaches down the road.....Get your transmission rebuilt....I dont care what anyone else says that it is......I am telling you its your clutch pack. Its happened to me twice.....Cost 2000 in all to get it repaired PERMANENTLY but having it fixed constantly adds up to high $$$.......

Old 01-19-2007, 09:48 PM

thanks 86 vetteone of my buddies was telling me of a local retired transmisson guy that i should take it to in the spring, and get him to check it out, is replacing a clutch pack common to c-4 vettes?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Well i duno "how common" but our transmissions are naturally weak. I think its called the 700r4? Someone correct me on that name if its not right but yea, it was a problem for me....Tell him you want the drain hole to be widened and 9 clutches instead of six....My first tranny kept blowing out fluid past the drain seal......ewww horriable. I think thats what partially killed it too. Also, my tranny guy said stock its only 6 clutches in it but if you get 9 **3 extra** it will help it hold better....DONT USE SYNTHETIC FLUID!!!! I haveheard from the tranny guy thatautomatics die from using synthetic for no apparent reason.....Now if it was caused by that or not, dont know but I wouldnt chance it. Also, if your having your transmisison "rebuilt:" which will pretty much mean its new.....**almost**, I would suggest doing a regular transmission "flush". If its your stock tranny and its say 20 years old and never been flushed, dont do it. When you flush a old tranny IN MY OPINION, it knocks crud loose and it gets stuck in there where it dont need to be and cause damage....I cant prove these facts but from what I have heard, liek I said I am not taking chances. I dont nor does my family have $$ to throw away at a car for stupid reasons that it keeps getting torn up. Also, just a FYI, if your using dino oil, keep it unless its been on synthetic its whole life....or you have replaced the seals then use synthetic. Synthetic swells up the seals and gets all teh sludge off and if your seals are old and rotten, they most likely will leak oil and then......more toruble and $$$ down the road.....[:'(]Damn I hate old cars....

Old 01-20-2007, 08:24 PM

thanks again black86vette. ButI had my car in the shopback in octobergetting the exhaust replaced and told my mechanic to flush my trannsmision and change the filter I had hoped that would help but it didn,t make any difference. one other thing one of my friends told me that he had thought that the kick down cable may need adjusted(i have no idea) but he said he didn,t want to do it because i guess you have to be carefull when adjusting it

Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 PM

I know theres a cable. Now, theres one thing that if it stays in first gear, it might be your goveronr is stuck. That happened to me when I JUST HAD my transmission rebuilt which was last week and the next day it got stuck but if fixed itself.....I was stupid enough to floor the hell out of it within a hour Dont do that. Thought I tore up my new tranny. Anyway, you can have a shop check on the goverenor and cable. Also, since you say its slipping, you could try to put some anti slip additive in there from your local parts store. It may/may not help.....Im iffy on that stuff because, yes it can help but then again, it can hurt it also eating at the rubber and putting more additives thats NOT NEEDED so it does more harm than good.....How many miles does your transmission have on it?