Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C5 computer freaked

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Default C5 computer freaked

My 04 is acting haunted. The radio and clock shut off randomly and I received the following messages; check gauges, security, service traction and service active handling. Anyone see this before? Going back to dealer this week but as you know computer diagnostic is not a strong suit.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Default RE: C5 computer freaked

I HAVE AN 04 AND IT JUST SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY. RADIO STAYS ON BUT IT WONT TURN OVER UNTIL I TAKE BATTERY OFF FOR 20 MIN THEN RECONNECT THEN IT STARTS UP FINE. IT DID IT TODAY FOR THE 3 RD TIME. IT ACTS LIKE SOME SECURITY PROPLEM BECAUSE THE REMOTE WONT WORK EITHER.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 AM

never had that specific problem, but all of the symptoms you listed have one thing in common, The BCM ( body control module ) located beneith the passengers feet. but your still covered under warranty so just make sure they try a new one.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM

I agree with bmwdriver, warantee issue...let GM spend their dime worring over it!

Mac

Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM

Hey pilot , i'm not a bmw driver + my initials are bmw and i dive for a living, lol

that picky thing again

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Does anybody know the guy or place that has the wire connect for the radar detect into the mirror Thanks Norlund1

Old 07-31-2005, 04:10 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwdiver

Hey pilot , i'm not a bmw driver + my initials are bmw and i dive for a living, lol

that picky thing again

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Ha! Sorry...won't make that mistake again...

Mac

Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 AM

Thats ok it happens all the time.

Later

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 AM

HEY PILOT U REALLY FLY ( PLANES OR CARS?)

Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I had the same thing on my '02. Maybe, like in my case, you have an intermitant short circuit somewhere in the interior.

One important fact: the 'vette (maybe other GM cars for all I know) has some circuit breakers in the body fuse box (located under a panel at the passenger's feet). The manual calls them something else (circuit protectors or fuse relays or something) but they are shown on the fuse panel map and in the wiring diagrams. These are very very fast circiut breakers:they operate faster than a fuse can blow, and they are in line with some fuses -- i.e., one of them will be are upstream of several subsiidairy circuits which each also have fuses: for example the radio and interior lights and power windows. Thise circiut breakers operate so fast that if there is a short circuit the fuses won't blow: what this means is that you could have a intermitant short circuit but the fuses would not be blown. ****

Anyway, if these things detect a short circuit that lasts even a micro-second, they open up and stay open until the car is shut down and left off for a few seconds. Then, when the car is started again, they will close in as normal, again providing power to the circuit (unless they again if see the short circuit).

In my case, I had an intermitant short circuit-a wire I thought I had cut off and tapexn over while I'd been doing some wiring changes in the interior -- adding a bunch of guages (boost guage, pyrometer, intake temperature gauges fore and aft of the intercoolers). for over a week, at odd times, -- sometimes when i would start up, other times while driving, the radio and power windows and some other things in the interior would just stop working. Next time i'd start the car they work again for a while. Sometimes I could just start the car off and restart a second or two later and it would "fix it" Drove me crazy. And no blown fuses.

Turns out I had an intermitant short in the cirgarret lighter circuit - I had removed the lighter and thought I had taped over the end of the loose wire while putting in the guages (three of them went where the ashtray was) but the wire was not completely insulated and it would once in a while rub against the metal frame under the console and then the breaker would click open before the fuse in the circuit would blow.

don't know if this is your problem of if it helps. If so it can be a pitch to diagnose because there are no blow circuits to give a clue--you have to go the wiring diagram and figure out which set of circuits is isolated, then check everything. Might be best to take it to the dealer.

---------------
**** I am an electrical engineer by trade so I hope this makes sense. In power system design the same concept is used, a circuit breaker protects a whole set of circuits from iarge, fast, short circuits: it opens so quickly that the fuses downstream of it don't blow --doing something called fuse saving. This saves replacing fuses when you have transients in the circuits due to -- whatever.

WHY GM does this, I don't know, but they probasbly have a reason.