Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Can I change transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Default Can I change transmissions?

I love my Vette but have been wishing is was a manual. At first I was happy with the Automatic, heck, I was just on cloud nine to drive a Vette, still am. I was wondering if changing the trans was a posibilty with all the computer programing these cars have. I used to change engines in my old Chevys. I wanted to put a 6 cylinder in my sons toyota trk and found that whole wiring and computer would have to be changed. Appreciate your imput.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: Can I change transmissions?

Yeah, it can be done: you have to find all the parts, not just the new trans, but the linkage, the clutch pedal, change out the clutch and etc., then reprogram, etc. It is a hassle. Probably easier and no more expensive to trade the car for a car that already has an M6.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks Lee, I was afraid it might be a hassle. Just was not sure how much.

I've been having those thoughts of maybe selling and getting one with a M6. I just had this one painted because I got caught in a sand storm which pited it out, now it has all new lights and glass too. was fortunate when I bought it used to get a problem free car that runs well. I hate to be greedy and want more.... but a manual would be awful nice and fits my drivng style. I am always saying I wish this was a stick when driving around.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:27 PM

bobalou,

I went through the exact same thing that you are going through.....I bought a 97 Vette, Auto, with like 18,000 on her.....my first vette...always wanted one, you know the story.....loved driving it. Then one of my friends that has an Infinity, got me to try the road course here in town, with the local BMW club......I knew I was instantly hooked. I did headers/exhaust and put in a 5 point harness, etc......then after my second driving school I really started to think "man it would be nice to have the M6".....that and you get a lot of "looks" from people when they find out your vette is an auto I asked this same question...and figured that I would be better off to seel my 97 and find a Z06...I wanted a more "track ready" car. So since my 97 had so few miles on it...sold it fine....I did eat a few thousand on the mods I did...but I chalk it up to "experience".....I am extremely happy with my 2002 Z06....5 times as fun to drive on the track....more power...etc, etc. I got lucky and found this one in Federalway Way, WA with only 2,800 miles on her, 1 owner....she now has 4,000 on her....headers, no cats, x-pipe, borla exhaust, soon to be Honker CAI, 5 point harnesses, BPP short throw shifter......my list of projects is almost never ending! lol So yes....I say go ahead and sell what you have....find something that will make you happier in the long run....you only live once.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM

I would feel the same way as you, I waited for a long time to finally get my vette. It seemed like everyone that I thought was "the one" ended up being an auto. I eneded up finding "the one" and it was def worth the wait, my buddy has an auto and he wishes he had gotten a 6 speed as well. I think he rushed into buying his vette because he wanted one so bad.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Well I guess the handwriting in on the wall guys. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me Kevin. That sure sounds fun going on a track. . I would get hooked on that. is it expensive? I would love to learn how to really drive this car. Then maybe I wouldnt chance tickets to enjoy it on the street as often. . I will probably loose a lilttle on some improvments like you Kevin but at least my car is very nice shape to sell.

I rushed into buying mine too, didnt' even worry about finding the right Vette, other than it was my favorite color and in great shape, I found a good deal and jumped in feet first.
been spending every cent I can spare on it since! I am lucky I am not married right now. haha. I'd be in trouble with the wife.