Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

electronic cutouts

Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Default electronic cutouts

Hey I heard some of these the other day on a dodge charger hemi and they sounded AWESOME. I want to get some for my c5, (they are electronic, so at the push of a button/switch you can go from your regular mufflers to the cutouts and back etc). Ive looked at two kits and one advertises that it makes 20 rwhp gain (!!!) but I have a feeling this is an exaggeration, at the least. I heard that if u lose too much backpressure u might end up losing some power. Does anyone with a c5 have cutouts or electronic cutouts? Are these legal in california? (im guessing they should be, im only gonna be using them "on the track" RIGHT, and electronic NOS bottle openers are legal if not mistaken). Do these add power? Thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Default RE: electronic cutouts

Not sure about the cutouts because I have no experience with them but as for electronic bottle openers...you can get busted on California public roads for having an electronic bottle opener on your bottle if your line is also hooked up to the bottle. It would be the same concept as if your bottle had the manual valve, line hooked up, andwithin reach from the drivers seat.

Specifically, it's not illegal to have a nitrous system in your car in california but illegal to use it on public roads. But if you live in California and have any experience in dealing with the cops in regards to street racing, you know they're gun'n for you. You can usually get away with having the bottle within reach or having the electronic bottle opener if they don't see it. However, I've been asked to "pop my hood" numerous times and when they saw the solenoids they always tried to bust me for having it on the street. I never got bustedbecause I knew the law in regards to the nitrous,didn't have the bottle within reach, and didn't have the electornic bottle opener. Also, if you're planning on driving the streets with nitrous, use a 10 lbs. bottle MAX. Anything over a 10 lbs. bottle and you'll need a license for transporting hazardous materials...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Default RE: electronic cutouts

WOW! Such a difference in laws from state to state! You can get away with murder with one thing while we in PA, cannot, but can get away with something stupid that you guys cannot! Go figure!

I will look for the advertisement for the brand I was looking at! I know it is the brand that Boyd Coddington uses with his custom rods...so if you see any articles with him stating its what he uses! That is the product I am referring to! Very nice looking pieces in my opinion!