Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Going to see a 97, want to know what to look for.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Default Going to see a 97, want to know what to look for.

I am shopping for a corvette and ran across a guy that selling his 97 targa with 2004 rims and new tires. I am going to go check it out soon, I know its automatic with 63,000 miles. What should i be looking for when i open the hood? What questions should i ask? What kind of problems do these cars have? My dad owns a 93 and he had problems with the ignition, opti spark. My dad works on cars so its not a big deal but i would like to see problems before i purchase. let me know guys i am really interested i9n purchasing a vette! Thanks

Adel A.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Default RE: Going to see a 97, want to know what to look for.

ok down and dirty just a few things I can think of off the top of my head, first of all chevy has done away with opti spark so you dont have to worry about that . on the body right behind the front wheels at the bottom wrapping around to under side of car,( susceptible to scraching and cracking from hi speedbumps and large dips, some people try and cover them up with the rock/ mud guards, but just because it has them doesent mean the body is cracked underneith, i have them and its saved the sides of the car numerous times from rocks and and excessive mud/road grime). the area right above the hood under the windshield wipers is prone to sun fadding unless constantly protected. check the inside of the oil filler cap, if you see excessive whater drops or white'ish deposits that could be a sign of engine problems to come. once inside look up through the lexan top, its prone to spider cracking nad peeling, remove the top and check the seals at the ends, there prone to splitting and other damage from top removal and replacement, it causes an minor leak inside. once you startit up and check for normal stuff turn the lights on and check the intensity of the illumination at the climate controls, on earlier models the had a tendency of losing a ground inside causing it to be dim and sometimes unlegable. it should be as bright as the dash and radio. if equipted with power seats check the lumbar inflation on both sides. when in the rear hatch check the under side of the center compartment lid for bending and cracking usually caused by heavy things being placed in the middle of it. you said it had 2k rims check to see if the tires were replaced with run flats. very importand, no spare = runflats + a can of fix-a-flat, fix a flat is important as i have found out runflat doesent always mean run flat. if i can think of anything else i post again, enjoy [sm=americanasmiley.gif] and remember nothing rides like a C5