Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

manual tranny shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Default manual tranny shifter

which is better for normal street fun 2000 hardtop?
hurst or bm

Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Default RE: manual tranny shifter

There are actually at least three great short-shifters out there:

Hurst:
Pros: Relatively inexpensive, quick, very short, direct throws, variable side-to-side compression (spring change)
Cons: Not adjustable, some vibration/noise at higher revs.

B&M:
Original style:
Pros: Quick, very short, direct throws (not sure about side-to-side compression adjustability)
Cons: Not adjustable, some vibration/noise at higher revs.
Isolated style:
Pros: Quick, short, direct throws, very little vibration/noise.
Cons: Not adjustable

BPP:
Pros: 16-way adjustable, quick, very short, direct throws, variable side-to-side compression (spring change)
Cons: some vibration/noise at higher revs.

...and also...

C6 OEM:
Pros: medium-length throws, very little vibration/noise.
Cons: 2nd-to-3rd shifts are not very positive. C5 shift **** does not fit.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 PM

What are your guys' thoughts for racing? All three have some "CONS".....but what do your experiences tell you is the best? Or is it all personal taste? Is it worth replacing the stock shifter? Just got a 2002 ZO6....just just curious if that is something that I would benefit from. Thanks.

Kevin

Old 06-13-2006, 05:25 PM

Kevin,

When I first sampled a short-throw (a friend's Hurst), I wasn't too thrilled about it. Later on, I decided to check into the many choices out there. What I read was that the Hurst, B&M, and BPP are very similar in feel. As far as the stock shifter, visualize, if you will, a shifter rod that is wrapped in layers of rubber sheet and then fitted with a steel tube over it. Of course, vibration will be minimized but the "feel" of the tranny linkage is somewhat lost in the translation.
Also, because the pivot point of the short shifter is moved upward, the throw is shortened considerably. Combine the two changes and you end up with a very quick-shifting tranny that feels like you are engaging a bolt-action shotgun - definitely more effort, but faster shifts, especially the 2-3 shift. However, because you are connected so directly to the tranny, some noise and vibration does make its way to you, the driver. B&M has an "in between" shifter (mentioned in my first post) that is shorter throw (than stock, but longer than the short-shifters'throws) and isolated shaft. This is probably close in feel and throw length to the C6/Z06 shifter.

To get an idea as to what is involved in installing a typical short-shifter, see my installation procedure at:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com//co..._c5_corner.htm

Dave