Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

melting wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Default melting wires

I have a 01 z06 single turbo. My problem is with the extra heat the downpipe and headers is giving off. The heat from both of these combined is too much for wires. I purchased accel wires supposed to withstand extra heat but in just 3 weeks I see they are starting to melt down also. The downpipe is wraped with a heat shield but it's still only a inch and half away from three wires. Also the wires were wraped with heat braid I think they were only rated at 500 degrees. Should I be getting some kind of racing wires or different wire wrapes? Just don't want to spend another $80 dollars for melted wires in a month. Anyone with any suggestions please.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Default RE: melting wires

I hope this helps others as the original author is probably not watching the posts...

The problem with most insulation is it's either too thin (thickness)or too light (density) or not the right material to withstand consistent heat long-term heat. The OEM's are cheap enough when it comes to insulation, but the aftermarket is WORSE!Why? The aftermarket isn't bound to extended warranties, or Road& Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trendroad test reviews. Theirproducts aren'tsubject to independent valuation.Believe me, the OEM's spend very little time on insulation (note how many Corvette owners ROAST in their Corvettes in the summertime!), and the aftermarket spends even less and even over-charges for mediocre solutions. I see companies claiming "Boeing" or "NASA" either supplies or uses their products...please...I know the hurdles and specifications required to sell to Boeing and NASA, and driveline insulation for a '95 Vette won't cut the mustard for those guys! They just say that to jack their prices up.

My company offers materials that are typically offered to the aerospace, automotive,and military markets.I could wrap these materials around headers and they'd yawn. You might ask "why doesn't the aftermarket or OEM's sell products that use this material?" The answer is either 1) and thismay come as a shock, but OEM's and aftermarket guys don't have a clue about the various types of insulations that are available, 2)if they did, they don't want their product to last 10 years because that kills repeat sales!...and/or, 3) they wouldn't spend a penny, and I mean a penny, more on proper and long-lasting insulation! Dodge would not spend $100 more per car to insulate the side exhaust! Instead they elected to spend 10 cents on a warning sticker...you have no idea how cheap the OEM's can be!

I see some thermal insulation products offered by various aftermarket guys and I can tell you that most of it is complete junk. They offer products that have ultra-thin aluminum foil facing...like that's going to stop a Turbo 400 tranny's heat radiation on a 90 degree summer day! The reason they offer aluminum foil faced products is because, 1) it "looks" like it'll work, and/or, 2) the insulation core is made from ultra-cheap fibers that can't take much heat, so they rely upon the crappy veil of aluminum!

The materials I use are made from the exact same fibers used to insulate fighter jets and the space shuttle solid rocket boosters! The aftermarket focuses more on appearance, or percieved value, rather than actual value. Don't waste a penny on the junk you see from any aftermarket offer. I have over 13 years in the manufacture, sales, and distribution of very high-end insulation. I would bet 99.9% of the insulation sold in the aftermarket is NOT made by the guys who sell it. Instead, they buy finished parts from China and attach a fancy label.Think I'm wrong that they don't make the products? Just ask the "salesperson" the following: 1) What's the density of the material? 2) What's the dimensional tolerance for thickness? 3) Does your product contain any binders? 4) How does your product hold up to vibration after exposure to 400F+ heat? 5) Does your product off-gas when it heats up? 6) What type of fiber is used in the insulation?

Believe me, after question #2 you'll quit asking because they DON'T know! If anyone needs help insulating hot interiors, melting wires, hot startstarter problems,or meltingplug wires, drop me a line.