Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

not sure what to call this...a ramble maybe

Old 11-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Default not sure what to call this...a ramble maybe

first off id like so say hello to everybody since im new here. but here is my predicament. in the summer i plan to buy a new(used) car. i have two in mind. a c5 and a ws6 trans am. im not sure waht one to get. my father has a 03 zo6 so i know for a fact i love that car and after some mods will love my c5 just as much and more but the trans am is sweet too. same motor cool looks also. but i love to drive and handling is very important to me. i know the c5 can handling awesome but can the trans am? c5s have IRS do trans ams have it also? what would you guys get? either way the car will be modified eventually i want to buy it stock and over 30gs is way to much money for me

Old 11-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Default RE: not sure what to call this...a ramble maybe

Well since I am a Corvette owner and this is a Corvette site and i am partial to Corvettes and I like the look of the Corvette much better than a trans am, than I believe I would choose a Corvette

Old 11-08-2006, 04:44 PM

yeah but what im trying to find out is will a trans am handle as well as a vette...im guessing no but i could be wrong

Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 PM

As for Handling, I would say the Vette has it cornered.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 PM

ha..that was a good PUN

Old 11-09-2006, 12:31 AM

Since I own both I will comment. (the Camaro is basically the same car - an F-body - as the WS6, or was back when it was stock). The Corvette feels light, responsive, and powerful. The F-body just feels powerful. It does stick to the road well on smooth surfaces but does not respond as quickly or corner well on twisties.

On the other hand the F-body has more room inside and a hatchback with a surprising amount of room in it. That is worth something particularly if you have only one car (I always used mine to bring home the Christmas tree every year - with the hatch open but tied down it could swallow an eight foot tree back there. ,

Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 PM

im told that with some suspension mods an fbody will handle really good. but arent they alot heavier than c5s? in other words slower

Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 AM

..not significantly slower, but they do weigh bout 400-500 lbs more than a Z06 and a touch less than a C5 coupe. Still, they are quite a bit less expensive, so don't feel bad if you have no choice.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:43 PM

I own a camaro and a c5 vette so here's my $.02. The camaro is a very good handling car but you can deffinately feel it sway a LOT more than the vette. If you are looking at enjoying twisties, go with the vette. I love my f-body but if I had to choose one based only on handling, I would deffinately go with the vette. I know the camaro isn't the exact same as the ws6 but I've ridden in one of those as well and will say that they handle about the same. It kind of put me on edge going around corners where I feel a lot safer in the corvette at the same speeds if not higher. Good luck on choosing.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM

I've had 2 Camaro's; both absolutely wicked and fun cars, without a doubt. No, that T/A does not have IRS like the Vette does. GM put a lot of money and engineering into designing the suspension on these babies and it shows when you go to carve the twisties up. But, stiffer springs, better shocks and thicker anti-roll bars will make an F-Body fly in the corners. You probably would have a tough time making an F-Body keep up with a Vette under heavy driving, but the difference will probably be negligible in day to day driving; you wouldn't notice it.

I love Camaro's.

I love Vette's more.

If you can afford the Vette, I'd really recommend going for it; there is no other car in the world like a Corvette.