57.89%
HURRICANE
10.53%
Vortex
15.79%
Dual flow Intake
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

What is the best AIR INTAKE SYSTEM for HP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Default RE: What is the best AIR INTAKE SYSTEM for HP?

I say Blackwing too. Totally trust SLP and their products. Love them. Used nothing but SLP on my Camaro. SLP ALL THE WAY!!! (Plus the Blackwing is the coolest looking one I've seen.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:09 PM

Hey nobody even mentioned the Donaldson "Blackwing" that I have. I heard it was rated one of the best for the money when I bought it. Do you guys know somethng bad about it that I don't??? I paid about 275 for it.

They are good filters for filtering, but not much more HP gains than the stock filter, they dont breath cold air like Vortex, Vararam, and Hurricane, they actually breath in the hot engine air, here is list of each intake desriptions, from dave 68 on the CF

If you live in California, think twice about the Vararam, as it can be a royal pain to install/uninstall/reinstall for smog tests. If you live in a state that doesn't have visual inspections, then take a look at the following (grouped by cold air and non-cold air, but in no particular order) and my comments, if any:

Vararam: Brings cold air in through the fog light panel area to a panel-type filter. Owners have had good luck with system on the dragstrip, but plan on spending hours to install and a bit more to get everything lined up well. Downside: Eliminates engine bay-cooling air that would've come in from the fog light panels (Z06 or coupe/vert with opened-up panels), so the engine bay may end up being toastier, especially if you add headers later. $300-$400

Vortech Rammer: Brings cold air up from in front of the radiator and into an enclosed box. Its filter is quite a bit smaller than the Halltech Warhead or Blackwing unit. $250

Callaway Honker intake system: This one relocates the MAF so that it is just in front of the throttlebody. It directs cold air from underneath and costs about $500. I believe this unit is 50 states legal (smogwise). Excellent design and quality. If cost is no object, this bad boy should be at the top of your list.

K&N FIPK: This is more of a semi-cold air system, as the cold air intake opening is more of a slit. Its filter endcaps are carbon fiber. However, it is configured similarly to the Halltech Stinger-R and is 50-states legal. $350

Warm air systems: (Easy installation)

Halltech Stinger-R: Not only contains the massive Warhead filter, but also includes a larger-than-stock airbridge and smooth throttlebody coupler. For $300.00 or less, this system represents one of the best bangs for the buck. Fortunately, for about $40, you can add cold air induction. See my procedure at http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

Halltech Stinger SSM – 2001-2004 C5: This intake system features an even larger filter than that of the Stinger-R, TRAP, and Blackwing. $400

Blackwing: Includes just a large filter, but an excellent one at that. Its cost is close to that of the Stinger.

Volant Twin Cone: This system gives you more open filter surface area than any stock box does and is well suited to an engine bay that gets cold air in from the fog light panels, as the filters are more or less in the air flow path. $265

2002+ Z06 airbox cover: A larger opening allows more air to be drawn in through the filter. Expect up to a 5 RWHP gain from this simple swap. $50

Zip-tie: An easy and inexpensive mod (eliminates the OEM box’s upper lid), but its sealing ability is questionable at best.

How good are they? My experience has shown that most will bump up RWHP by at least 10. The advantage of having cold air is that power will not be "dialed down" under

Old 12-02-2006, 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: tankerpilot01

Hey Dave, does that Callaway Honker use a different size filter? I have a AMSOIL synthetic air filter that I would still like to use. Do you still think that the Honke is the best out there? You've personally seen the 16 RWHP gain from this intake? What do you think of the Breathless Performance one? A couple of the guys I see at the track all the time love it...and they say it is the best. Have you seen any actual Dyno numbers for that one to compare to the Honker? Thanks.

Kevin

PS. Now that I'm getting some shifts under my belt with that BPP shifter...I'm loving it!
Kevin,

I'm not sure about the filter size, but I'm sure they will tell you if you give them a call. The Honker is the only one that relocates the MAF and as you may know, the C6s have their MAFs right next to the throttle body, as well. This gives the ECU a more accurate measure of air flow in the best place - as close as possible to the TB. I've read articles by Corvette magazines that showed dyno results after installing the Honker - very impressive. Still, I'll bet my CAI-modded Halltech is close in HP gain. The other nice thing about the Honker is that it is 50-state legal.

I'm glad to hear you like the BPP. That 2-3 shift is lightning-fast!

Dave

Old 12-02-2006, 03:55 AM

The Honker was the one for me.
Besides being 50 state legal for smog, i liked the fact that it re-located the MAF.
It's definately a noticeable gain in HP after I installed it.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 AM

First of all, if anybody can show some dynos on what a filter actually puts down to the wheels, you'll find 2-5 rwhp gains AT MOST!!!! Dont' be fooled. Also, K&N filter are some of the worst filtering filters on themarket. Simply put, filters that flow more , filter less. Which is more important??

Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Killer_Ride05,

The filter question is a whole new ball of wax....but as far as the actual Intake System, I know from the feel of my right foot, that I felt a difference when I put my Honker intake on....I modded other things at the same time, so I don't have a Dyno for just that (too expensive to dyno after every change....unless one owns it).

Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Ride05

First of all, if anybody can show some dynos on what a filter actually puts down to the wheels, you'll find 2-5 rwhp gains AT MOST!!!! Dont' be fooled. Also, K&N filter are some of the worst filtering filters on themarket. Simply put, filters that flow more , filter less. Which is more important??
I gained almost 13 RWHP with just an intake and exhaust change. 10 RWHP is easily achievable with just an intake system change. I've seen the results many times at Dyno Day events. And its not always a less-dense filter media that allows greater flow; it's the greater surface area. My Halltech Stinger filter is MUCH larger than the stock filter and yet after 2 years of use, the inside of my TB and air bridge were spotless. Great filtering and higher flow ARE possible; my system is proof!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM

I love the K&N cold air intake I have on my vette. But I also ran straight pipes to get the air out.