Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can a Dead Battery throw Codes??

Old 07-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Default Can a Dead Battery throw Codes??

Hi, I'm getting ready to sell my 2002 Corvette with only 29K miles on it and its been sitting in the garage for the last year. I had a trickle charger hooked up to it but one of my kids accidently unplugged it 3months ago. When I went to charge it, it was Dead/Dead, not even a single light bulb. So I charged it over night the battery took and held a full charge. But now the problem is, its now throwing codes such as "Shocks Inop" "Traction Control needs service" "do not exceed 80 mph". My Mech said it needs to go on a long drive to reset the codes, like to the Beach and Back and he would need to drive it without me, so he can fix it. <fishy>? I can't imagine all these items would go bad while its just sitting. And they only started happening after I recharged the battery.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. And if I get it resolved by using this forum, I'll post it for sale on here First!!

Thanks .....Rocket
Somebody is going to get a really good deal on this one.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:13 AM

yes, a dead battery can throw codes. Happened on my C6. Drive the car for 10 min or so, shut it off, then back on and the codes will have gone away