General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Default Dead Battery

Just purchased a new 07 convertible and if the car sets for more than a few days the car will not start due to thebattery. The first time was a week after I purchased the car. I started it up and backed it out of the garage, shut it off and got back in it, and the car would not start. Four times in 2 weeks. I will call Chevrolet tomorrow but was just wondering if this was a common problem.

07 convetible, magnetic ride, 3LT, navigation system, pretty much fully loaded.

First time Vette owner
Thanks
Bill Hilger

Old 07-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Default RE: Dead Battery

It is common for 'vettesnot to start at all after sittingfor a week or more: there is enough on-board electronics active all the time that it can draw the battery down in a week or ten days. Many folks, me included, have a battery trickle charger tto keep the battery topped up over periods of inactivity.

But I have never heard of the car starting once and then not starting right after -- even a minute or so of running will restore the energy used by that one start, so it is unlikely that they would happen unless there was someother flaw.

I'd have the dealer look at it. If you plan to leave the car sitting for periods of a week or more undriven, get a battery trickle charger.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: billger

Just purchased a new 07 convertible and if the car sets for more than a few days the car will not start due to thebattery. The first time was a week after I purchased the car. I started it up and backed it out of the garage, shut it off and got back in it, and the car would not start. Four times in 2 weeks. I will call Chevrolet tomorrow but was just wondering if this was a common problem.

07 convetible, magnetic ride, 3LT, navigation system, pretty much fully loaded.

First time Vette owner
Thanks
Bill Hilger
Sounds like a security disablement of some sort - a bug therein.

Is the characteristics of the re-start failure exactly the same every time?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Seems to be the same every time. Last night it would not start. After starting I drove it around for an hour and brought it home and this morning got in to start and no go.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: billger

Seems to be the same every time. Last night it would not start. After starting I drove it around for an hour and brought it home and this morning got in to start and no go.

Since it's new, I wouldn't offer any suggestions. This is an ECM issue, I think, and it's the dealer's problem. I would get them to show you exactly what the fix is - BEFORE they fix it.

You can put a multimeter to it, but I wouldn't touch a wrench.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:15 PM
pg

Hi Lee, I respect your opion as an expert, but what am I missing here, I've had a 66 and am now on my second 74 Vette,yes they all had carbs and were a little hard to start after being left after a few weeks, but I can you tell me that if I spend 50,000 thousand plus, and that my brakes will makenoise at at 10 mph stop,and that if I don't use the car for two weeks I need a jump to get it started,than something is wrong with this picture. Long live the C-3'S, PG

Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Took the car to the dealer this morning and so far they have found a dead cell in the battery. I drove the car in to the shop approx 45 min drive, shut it off and immediately it would not start. I watched them do the test. They will check some more things as they had to order the battery.

Hopefully this cures the problem.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

This sounds like something pretty simple in your case, with the battery. Hope this fixes it.

There do seem to be too many cases of cars coming outof GM with lots of annoying problems, pg, so I understand your situation. I've been lucky. Both my Camaro and 'vette never had a single assembly, bad part, or quality problem.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Stay on em billger. Delco has a big battery PROBLEM.After 3 replacements under warranty, I went to an Interstate for my C4. Many in our club have had problems as well. j